Mike Madriaga 7:54 a.m., Oct. 20
The Holy House of Walsingham
- A noble widow sometime lady of this town
- Called Richeldis, living full virtuous,
- Desired of Our Lady a
- Her to honour with some work bounteous.
- This Blessed Virgin and Lady most gracious
- Granted her petition, as I shall after tell
- Unto her worship to edify this chapel.
- In spirit Our Lady to Nazareth her led,
- And showed her the place where Gabriel her greet.
- Lo daughter consider, to her Our Lady said,
- Of this place take accurately the measurement
- Another like this at Walsingham thou set
- Unto my laud and singular honor,
- All that me seek there shall find succor.
- Where shall be had in a memorial,
- The great joy of my salutation.
- First of my joy’s ground and original,
- Root of mankind’s gracious redemption
- When Gabriel gave to me relation
- To be a mother through humility
- And God’s son conceived in virginity.
More from SDReader
- Let thy blessèd Spirit bear a part/and make up our defects with his sweet art — April 12, 2017
- Many a long and joyless year have I — Jan. 2, 2017
- Three Poems by Thomas Gray — Nov. 25, 2015
- From “The 94 Psalm” — March 12, 2014
- Francois Villon — Sept. 28, 2011