• Story alerts
  • Letter to Editor
  • Pin it

An explosion rocked the residents of an Imperial Beach apartment complex at around 6:30 p.m. Thursday, May 28. Residents of the Imperial House Apartments at 1047 Seacoast Drive were sent scurrying from their units when an explosion in the downstairs laundry room sent glass from the door’s window into the parking lot.

Firefighters and sheriff’s deputies were dispatched, but there was no fire when they arrived on the scene. Employees from the building’s management company were on the scene early Friday morning to clean up.

An older gentleman directing repairs on the building’s electrical system explained, “According to the fire chief, a tenant was washing a shirt soaked in gasoline and the fumes were ignited by the water heater’s pilot light.”

A younger female sweeping up glass said, “We were lucky, and no one got hurt. It was one of those freaky things that happen at rental properties. We’ll get over it.”

  • Story alerts
  • Letter to Editor
  • Pin it


lovetowrite May 31, 2009 @ 4:23 p.m.

Note to self - don't wash my gasoline soaked shirts next to an open flame....


Sign in to comment

Win a $25 Gift Card to
The Broken Yolk Cafe

Join our newsletter list

Each newsletter subscription means another chance to win!