• Story alerts
  • Letter to Editor
  • Pin it

— Paul Del Vacchio remembers the first time he gambled. "I was 12 years old," he says. "It was a $2 bet to show on a horse at Pocono Downs in Pennsylvania. I remember this weird feeling came over me when I was placing that bet at the window, and when I was watching the race, and when the horse actually crossed the finish line first and it won."

The feeling lay dormant inside Del Vacchio as he grew up in Carteret, New Jersey. It resurfaced when he was 16. "I was working in a grocery store," he recalls, "and the store manager, who was betting with a bookie, told me about a way to bet on NBA games. I bet $25 each on five games and lost them all. I think that was a Thursday, and then on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday I won enough to actually be ahead for the week."

Those first four days of betting, losing, and chasing -- a gambler's term for trying to recoup losses with more gambling -- turned out to be the pattern for the next 24 years of Del Vacchio's life. Only instead of ending up ahead, he ended up nearly a half-million down and on his way to prison for embezzling money from his employer, Pechanga Indian casino in Temecula.

Back at the grocery store in New Jersey, Del Vacchio and a friend teamed up and laid bets with his manager-cum-bookie every day. "After a while my manager owed us $500, but he wound up stiffing us. He owed a lot of people money, and he stiffed everybody. Eventually he got fired for absenteeism."

Instead of seeing his manager as an example of how gambling can destroy lives, Del Vacchio and his gambling partner found another bookie. "He was a bar bookie in the same town. He owned the bar, and he ran a decent-sized bookie operation out of it. Over the course of the next year or so, we ratcheted the bets up to $500 or $1000 a game. Then, in the summer between high school and college, we lost $13,400 in one week."

Unlike legal sports books, which require a deposit in advance to cover bets, the bar bookie was taking bets on credit. And neither Del Vacchio nor his partner had anything like the cash they needed to pay their losses. "So I went to my dad," Del Vacchio says, "and confessed the whole thing. My dad talked to the bookie and told him, 'You are not going to be paid by these two kids. You should not be taking this kind of action from these two kids.' The bookie made a couple of approaches to me, asked me for a payment plan. I said, 'No, I don't want to do that.' He said, 'Are you sure?' and I knew he was trying to intimidate me. In the end, I didn't have to pay, and no knees or legs were broken, which is fortunate, because those bookies back East are usually connected to organized crime. I think what saved me from any bodily harm was that shortly thereafter he got busted by the police."

Alarmed by the amount of money their son had lost, Del Vacchio's parents sent him to see a psychologist. "I went once, and we talked about everything but gambling," he recalls.

His father also arranged for someone from Gamblers Anonymous to call Del Vacchio. "He sounded like a Tony Soprano-type character," Del Vacchio remembers, "which I found pretty intimidating. He told me that I needed to get to a meeting and I needed to practice the principles in the Gamblers Anonymous program. He told me that I could never gamble again and that my addiction, my compulsive gambling, would never get better unless I addressed it. 'It will only get worse. You will end up in prison, insane, or dead if you don't address it.' "

When Del Vacchio thinks back on those words today, he labels them "prophecy." And they, combined with the scare of the $13,400 loss, were enough to keep him away from gambling for his four years of college at the University of Southern California and the University of Maryland. "In college," he says, "there were odd bets here and there -- no bookies, just guy-to-guy."

But after graduating from Maryland in 1987, "Some friends and I took a drive up to Atlantic City. I won $2000 playing blackjack, and it sparked something in my head and in my stomach. It was that same euphoric rush. It is a physical thing that I can feel. I am a runner, and it is akin to the runner's high, when those endorphins kick in."

Del Vacchio parlayed his accounting degree into a job in New York City. "Shortly after moving to New York," he recalls, "I hooked up with my old gambling buddy from Carteret, and he was connected to a new bookie in South Jersey. We figured out we could control the gambling by using our credit cards to bet. That way, the bookie would always be paid, and we wouldn't end up in the situation we were in as teenagers."

But access to credit only allowed Del Vacchio to get into deeper financial trouble. He got married in 1992 -- without disclosing his mounting gambling debts to his wife. In 1994, when the couple decided to move to Las Vegas and buy a house, Del Vacchio told his wife he owed $80,000 in gambling debt to credit card companies. He declared bankruptcy.

Ironically, Del Vacchio's moving to Las Vegas to work in the auditing department of a casino was the beginning of a four-year lull in his gambling. "I thought that if I worked for the casinos I could get that rush without actually having to gamble."

But in 1998, the year the first of his two children was born, Del Vacchio took a job at a new casino in the soon-to-be-opened Summerlin resort, northwest of Las Vegas. "It was a great opportunity for me," he says. "The problem was, they didn't have much for me to do because the opening kept getting delayed, and all my work was predicated on the opening. So I needed to find something to do during the day, and I discovered that I could bet sports on the Internet. I found a place where I could put my credit card in. 'This is in total control,' I thought, because it wasn't like a bookie, where you would bet on credit. You would have to send the money there. If I send $1000, I can't exceed the $1000. I could only lose $1000. Oh, how naïve I was. I found this one site, and I started playing, and I actually won $3000. But they wouldn't pay me. Come to find out that it was actually some kind of scam site. They were just taking credit card numbers. So I took it as a personal mission to hunt these people down and get my money. I found the guy; he was in Fort Lauderdale. I basically harassed him, and he gave me 50 cents on the dollar -- he gave me $1500. So from that point forward, I thought, 'Okay, I have to do this right. I have to go to sites that are going to pay me. Because I know how to control my gambling now, and I know how to win. So I can augment my income by doing this.' "

  • Story alerts
  • Letter to Editor
  • Pin it

More from SDReader


Sign in to comment

Win a $25 Gift Card to
The Broken Yolk Cafe

Join our newsletter list

Each newsletter subscription means another chance to win!