Daniel Powell 9 a.m., June 29
- Community Blog
- Serra Mesa Stories
Change of plans to minister to a laid off friend
Was ready to cover the Serra Mesa Community Council meeting tonight when the economy took precedence. My best friend was laid off today from a well-paying high tech job. He comes first.
He lives in Rancho Penasquitos, about 10 minutes north on the I-15 near Stonecrest, the mall with the Walmart and Vons.
We've known each other for 20 years and he was there for me when I was laid off from the paper in the summer. I know his hurt. It became my hurt. He's my friend.
I said all the things that have proven to be true for me. Nothing has changed. You're still the same person. You have this freedom now to decide your destiny and it's going to be a good one.
Unemployment is a sign of our times; it's at 12 percent in California. Best advice is to network, do freelance work to earn money and keep your name out there and upgrade your skills. i do this. My buddy knows this. He's got natural gifts for writing, marketing, a real go getter's attitude, very likeable. He'll do well. All he needed from me over beers at Island's in Mira Mesa tonight was to hear just that: everything is going to be okay.
More like this:
- My angel wore a Pittsburgh Steelers jersey and brought manna to my house in Serra Mesa — Nov. 22, 2010
- Kevin Beiser: Serra Mesan passionate about education — Nov. 9, 2010
- Halloween during hard times is still good times — Oct. 31, 2010
- Serra Mesa has clout — Oct. 16, 2010
- Anybody play hoops in Serra Mesa? — Oct. 6, 2010