Various Authors 3:12 p.m., June 24
Top cartel operative apprehended in Tijuana
Alleged second in command of Arellano Félix Organization arrested
The Mexican Army carried out an operation for over an hour in the Colonia Juárez in Tijuana, on Friday, March 15th. According to local authorities, the operation resulted in the apprehension of the alleged number two ranking member of the Arellano Félix Organization (AFO or Tijuana Cartel). The suspect, Melvin Gutiérrez Quiroz, was apprehended without a shot fired in a residence near a kindergarten school.
Gutiérrez Quiroz, who goes by the numerous aliases of “El Melvin”, “El Comacho”, and “El Marioano”, is said to be second behind only Luis Fernando “El Ingeniero” Sánchez Arellano in the AFO. The suspect, who was wanted by authorities on both sides of the border, is alleged to be a major drug trafficker.
El Melvin allegedly worked with a group of hitmen from the Logan Heights neighborhood in San Diego at one time, before moving up in the ranks of the AFO.
More like this:
- DEA official claims Arellano Félix Organization dead, despite current activity in Tijuana — May 29, 2013
- Arellano Félix kidnapping kingpin caught — Dec. 19, 2012
- Despite news reports, Eduardo not the last remaining Arellano Félix brother — Sept. 1, 2012
- El Mono Arrested in the Zona Norte — July 8, 2012
- Report: Arellano-Félix Organization Still Runs Baja — June 20, 2012