Ken Harrison 10:20 a.m., June 23
IB Councilman Bilbray endorses medical marijuana measure
Brian Pat Bilbray, an Imperial Beach city councilmember and the son of 52nd Congressional district candidate Brian Bilbray, came out in favor of medical marijuana on Friday, officially endorsing Proposition S, one of four measures aimed at relaxing medical marijuana restrictions that various cities across San Diego County will put to voters tomorrow.
“With my sister having to use medical marijuana to treat her stage three melanoma, this issue is very emotional and personal for me and my family,” says Bilbray. “If the federal government is not going to take it up upon themselves to start regulating, allow the FDA to actually look at it so it can be put in pharmacies, then it is up to the states to do exactly what they have done.”
Bilbray’s sister Briana has fought a public battle with melanoma since being diagnosed at age 24, recently starred in an ad for the elder Bilbray’s congressional race, praising his work in advancing cancer research. The senior Bilbray, however, is on record opposing the stance taken on medical marijuana by his children.
“Fact of the matter is, it does work, patients do need it I have seen it firsthand,” the younger Bilbray insists. “I will be voting Yes on S and encourage all my constituents to do the same.”
If passed, Prop S would repeal the ban on medical marijuana dispensaries within Imperial Beach city limits and implement a set of zoning and operational regulations for such facilities. Similar measures are also being promoted under the banners of Proposition H in the city of Del Mar, Proposition T in Lemon Grove, and Proposition W in Solana Beach.
More like this:
- Melissa Etheridge Endorses Medical Marijuana Ballot Measures in San Diego County — Oct. 24, 2012
- Medical Marijuana Panel Convenes Tonight to Discuss Actions in City of IB — March 20, 2012
- Court Will Not Hear Oral Arguments Over Motion to Dismiss Medical Marijuana Case — March 1, 2012
- Imperial Beach refuses to implement recommendations of the Grand Jury — July 6, 2010
- I.B. Mayor Brian Billbray Distances Himself from Log Cabin Club — May 3, 1984