Don Bauder 4 p.m., Oct. 16
Ex-Sempra President Among Few Local Huntsman Backers
Jon Huntsman, the former Utah governor who pulled out of the GOP presidential race yesterday and endorsed fellow Mormon and part-time La Jollan Mitt Romney, didn't collect much campaign cash from San Diego donors.
A major exception was Neal A. Schmale, recently retired president and COO of Sempra Energy, who along with his wife Margaret, gave Huntsman's cause a total of $5000 on June 30 of last year.
Since 1998, Schmale has been bipartisan in his political giving, contributing a total of $39,112 to a variety of candidates for federal office, including the failed presidential efforts of Democrats Hillary Clinton and former New Mexico Gov Bill Richardson, along with the reelection campaigns of Republican Congressmen Brian Bilbray and Tom Delay of Texas, later convicted on federal money laundering charges.
Schmale is also chairman of the board of WD-40 Company and a board member of Murphy Oil.
Item has been updated regarding Schmale's November departure from Sempra.
Pictured: Neal Schmale
More like this:
- Anybody but General Atomics — May 12, 2017
- Sempra gasses Gaspar — Feb. 17, 2017
- Rotten with Sempra/SDG&E money — May 6, 2014
- Recipients of half of Sempra non-profit cash unidentified in disclosure — June 6, 2013
- Palin Email Reveals Sempra Energy Pipeline Scheme — June 10, 2011