Don Bauder 9:30 a.m., Sept. 23
Killer Admits to Second Degree Murder
Kornisi Savaiinaea to get 19-years-to-life for murdering a teenager.
San Diego Superior Court
April 3, 2008
31-year-old Kornisi Savaiinaea pleaded guilty to second degree murder in Superior Court. On May 5, Judge Frank Brown is expected to sentence Savaiinaea 19-years-to-life for the 1995 cold case homicide.
Here is what happened 13 years ago in Mount Hope – Savaiinaea and three other armed criminals (Kevin Rogers, Vaimalia Sele and Eric Paz) engaged in a fatal home invasion
They broke into an apartment and found 15-year-old Arnoldo Sanchez-Ponce lying on the couch in the living room.
Ponce was asleep and confused, slow to react to the robbers’ demands for money and valuables. Savaiinaea pointed his gun to Ponce’s head and fired twice, killing the teen.
The case went cold after an exhaustive investigation. A witness came forward in 2003, eventually leading to arrests and the April 3, 2008 hearing where Savaiinaea plead guilty.
More like this:
- Three-year-old case charging attempted-murder is delayed again — Aug. 17, 2013
- Three-year-old case for Phillip Miller delayed again — May 15, 2013
- Prosecutor revealed details in alleged gang shooting of two children — April 3, 2013
- Repeat felon admits killing transgender prostitute — March 20, 2013
- April 1 Murder Conviction No Fool's Joke — April 8, 2008