Was Dan Broderick Really a Model of Integrity?
On Saturday (May 17), the Daniel T. Broderick III Award willl be given to attorney Mike Neil. The award has been given since 1990 by three legal groups to the local attorney who supposedly best examplifies civility, integrity and professionalism. Dan Broderick and his new young wife were murdered by his ex-wife Betty Broderick Nov. 5, 1989. She was clearly obsessed with their affair and subsequent marriage. The Wikipedia entry on her says she was frustrated with his "legal connections." The April 1994 issue of California Lawyer stated as follows: "Six days before Dan left Betty, he wired $175,000 to his brother in Colorado. Three weeks before that, he withdrew $80,000 from a business account. The financial figures he submitted to the court failed to mention these two transactions, as well as a $450,000 personal loan to his brother after the couple separated. Dan Broderick's financial accounts did show a number of disastrous investments, especially the ones he made with his brother....Betty paid for half of these losses out of her settlement," while he got properties with low or negative values. Many San Diego women sympathize with Betty, although deploring the murder. There is more on sandiegojudges.com. There are two sides to every story.
More like this:
- Betty Broderick killed Dan Broderick and his wife 28 years ago today — Nov. 5, 2017
- Three writers cash in on Betty Broderick — June 17, 1993
- The passing of Hedgecock and Martinez removed trappings of power from Dobson’s — July 5, 1990
- Betty Broderick tells her version of marriage to Dan Broderick — Nov. 16, 1989
- Broderick vs. Broderick – the divorce trial before the murder — Jan. 12, 1989