- Community Blog
- 92101 Urban Living
Winter Shelter in the East Village District in Downtown San Diego 2010 Rejected!
The City Council of San Diego proposed to have a vacant lot in the East Village District in Downtown San Diego as the spot for setting up a temporary winter homeless shelter. Downtown San Diego Condo and Loft homeowners, residents and business owners stood up and expressed opposition.
The proposal was rejected on September 15th, 2009 after a 5-2 vote. The San Diego City Council has encouraged San Diego City staff to give alternative places that might be more suitable and located outside Downtown San Diego by early next month.
The winter shelter was supposed to be located around Island Avenue, J Street and 15th Street. Please visit “East Village” to see a map of the area.
The East Village District has hosted the winter shelter the last two years and Councilman Kevin Faulconer, who represents Downtown said, “It’s unfair to keep burdening Downtown year after year with the shelter, especially when homelessness is a regional issue. There are other parts of the City that do need to help. This is a Citywide issue.”
More like this:
- Not in My Backyard: City Council Agrees on Civic Center Concourse for Winter Shelter — Oct. 23, 2010
- City Council Considers Balboa Park Locales for Winter Shelter — Oct. 21, 2010
- The East Village PLAN?? — Sept. 1, 2010
- Broken Promise — Oct. 18, 2009
- Winter Shelter To Go in The East Village District in Downtown San Diego After All! — Oct. 14, 2009