It's weird, so much about Bill Maher annoys me. Yet, when I see him on talk shows (or his show), I often end up agreeing with him.

I'm happy he took on religion in his new movie. I'm also happy that it wasn't a bozo like Michael Moore that did.

He has many complaints about religion. I don't have as many as him, but a few.

An example being this story from a few weeks back. It was in Oregon, at a small Christian university.

A life-size cardboard cutout of Barack Obama was hung from a tree on campus, using fishing line around its neck.

There was also a message on it, that made reference to "Act Six", which is a scholarship program geared toward increasing the number of minority and low-income students to several Christian colleges.

There are almost 2,000 students enrolled at George Fox University, just south of Portland. And, the day this was discovered, university president Robin Baker said he was "disheartened and outraged."

I'm sure the ACLU would fight that. As would many of their parents. Although, shouldn't a parent want to get to the bottom of it? Even if it meant their child had to go thru some interrogation process?

There's a family friend, who told me last month, how her son was so upset with Jimmy Carter speaking in other countries about what was wrong with the current administration, he sent him an email that said he hopes he gets shot.

There was a knock on his door a few days later in Rancho Bernardo. The Secret Service stopped by, as they do for any death threat. Although, it seemed odd that they deemed this a "death threat." It was just a wish, for lack of a better word. The same way I told everyone after the OJ case, that I hope someone kills him. It didn't mean I was going to do it.

I then thought about when I was 10 years old. We had a neighbor whose entire family we hated. The father looked like Wolfman Jack. Their 6-year-old son was a jerk.

And my brother, who was practicing to become a ventriloquist, made his dummies hair blonde, and put a shirt on him that we wrote "Steven" on.

We hung it from our garage door and were beating on the thing with sticks (I was using my nunchucks, because I was cool like that).

The family drove home from a night out. We saw them look over.

And a few minutes later, cops drove into our quiet little cul-de-sac in Mira Mesa.

We were told to take the thing down, and how that was a threat. Another cop said he would confiscate my chucks if he saw them. They are illegal weapons, so I'm not sure why he didn't insist on me going into the house to get them.

He did tell my mom they were illegal.

When the fuzz left (that's what we called them in 1980), Steven came outside and rode his bike around, making faces at us.

We spent the night at another neighbor kids house that evening, plotting. The plan was to get up at 3:00 a.m. and egg and toilet paper their house.

My friends mom woke us up at 8:00 a.m. for pancakes. We all looked at each other and said, "Why didn't you wake me up at 3:00?"

More like this:

Comments

Joaquin_de_la_Mesa Oct. 3, 2008 @ 1:48 p.m.

"I say if you're that outraged, find out who did it. Tell every student, they are going to be given a lie detector test."

Take it easy, Josh. Do you really want college presidents administering lie detector tests to their students? I'm sure George W. Bush has been burned/hung in effigy a few times. Should we be administering lie detectors to find out who's responsible?

Re: Maher, that dude is rapidly moving up the List of People You Don't Want to Be on Judgment Day. He just passed Jerry Springer and the Farrelly Brothers.

You've got to be a smug jerk to make the elimination of Religion -- not a religion, but ALL religion -- your cause. Every culture on earth comes up with a religious system. It's as natural as eating and reproducing. Maher needs to work out his personal identity issues on his own, not foist them on the people in the form of a proganda film. Seek help Maher.

elmnt Oct. 3, 2008 @ 6:49 p.m.

"Re: Maher, that dude is rapidly moving up the List of People You Don't Want to Be on Judgment Day."

You do realize that this kind of nonsense is exactly what he spends his time lampooning, right? He's no more in danger of "judgement day" than you are of getting kidnapped by Martians. Oh, you don't think Martians exist?

Exactly.

"Every culture comes up with a religious system."

If millions of people do a stupid thing, it is still a stupid thing. He's just pointing it out.

Josh Board Oct. 4, 2008 @ 1:19 a.m.

Well Joaquin, you have a bit of a point. I mean, early in the movie, he goes to a chapel for truckers. One guy is ready to beat him up. Another says he was addicted to drugs and women (to whim Maher says "what's wrong with that?"). And, although I'm not religious, I do think religion can serve a good purpose. It can keep a lot of people (like these truckers) on the right path.

If they want to believe a guy with a long white beard and robe, is going to judge them, and that makes them live better lives...go for. Don't convince them they're wrong!

Maher also tends to say the same thing over and over. Whereas, he could've gone on different tangents, like telling the religious people that God probably wouldn't fault him for not believing, or not being sure, about his presence.

And, I think that's the point elmnt is sort of making. IF there is a God, I don't think someone like Maher has a thing to worry about. I'd think that murders, rapists, and...Catholic priests that molest kids...probably do. Not a guy that asks questions and provokes.

reddragonfly Oct. 4, 2008 @ 5:57 p.m.

Why the assumption that it was one of the students that did it? Maybe it was someone who is anti-religion and didn't like the "Act Six" program. Someone like..let's see..Bill Maher? Seriously, we should consider that it could have been done by someone outside the campus. This immediate negative reaction to something religious, especially Christian, is becoming a trend and is very disturbing. Will Christians be asked to sew crosses on their lapels? As for Maher - if there is no God then he just made a movie about nothing. For someone who doesn't believe he exists; he sure thinks about him alot. God does work in mysterious ways. Pax.

antigeekess Oct. 5, 2008 @ 9:09 a.m.

A movie about nothing?

Wouldn't that be "Seinfeld: The Movie?"

;)

Josh Board Oct. 5, 2008 @ 9:52 p.m.

Well reddragon...you are in correct saying "if there is no God, then he just made a movie about nothing."

His movie was about PEOPLE that believed in God. And, people that didn't ask questions, just had blind faith. Whereas, he just wonders why nobody questions someone living in a "big fish" for 3 days, or a million different bugs and animals, on a ship with Noah.

And Maher never said he doesn't believe in God. He said exactly what everyone SHOULD say (no matter what religion they believe/belong to). And that is, "I really don't know. NOBODY knows."

I also don't think Maher thinks about "god" a lot. I think he does when things happen like someone believing so much in THEIR way, that they go on suicide missions, or take planes into buildings. Or they hate, and don't want anyone in their family, to marry someone that isn't the same race/relgion, etc.

antigeekess Oct. 7, 2008 @ 9:37 p.m.

I saw "Religulous" yesterday. I liked it a lot, and I think it could turn out to be a pretty important film.

First of all, props to Bill Maher for having big brass ones and taking on this subject matter. He's also kind of irritated me in the past for seeming snarky and overly sure of himself -- just kind of negative and pissy. I didn't find him to be that way in this film. He seemed to keep his sense of humor and remain pretty positive, actually. Until the last 10 minutes, of course.

I'm seeing that he's being referred to as an atheist, which he's certainly not. He's taking the position of an agnostic in the film, and in the past I've heard him say words to the effect of "I believe in God, I just don't believe in religion."

I thought it was very telling when he thanked the guys at the Truckers Chapel "for being Christ-like, not just Christian."

That says a LOT to me about where the guy's heart is. He gets it. He seems to have spent quite a lot of time on his Biblical scholarship, and he seems to understand what the character (whether historical or fictional) of Jesus was about, probably better than a lot of people who run around calling themselves Christians.

I think a lot of folks will find this film far less offensive than they expect it to be, if they'll just SEE it.

But, we know how that goes. The folks with the strongest opinions about this film will be the very ones who've never seen it.

Josh Board Oct. 10, 2008 @ 11:32 p.m.

I don't necessarily think it took "brass ones" to do this film.

I mean, why?

He got throw off the grounds of the Mormon Temple, got throw out of the Vatican. But...is his life in danger doing a movie like this? No.

Josh Board Oct. 15, 2008 @ 1:49 a.m.

Really? I think just the opposite. I think people that call themselves "atheists," when death is facing them, probably say a few prayers, "just in case". Or, because it seems comforting to do so.

antigeekess Oct. 11, 2008 @ 7:47 p.m.

"But...is his life in danger doing a movie like this? No."

Well, it's interesting to me that you'd go immediately THERE, without considering any other possible personal, social or professional repercussions.

But I disagree with you totally. This is America -- one of the biggest hotbeds of religious intolerance outside of the Middle East. People get offed every day for a lot less.

Bill Maher: Big Brass Ones. Just Like Jesus.

Josh Board Oct. 13, 2008 @ 1:34 p.m.

Listen....if someone was going to take out Maher, or got angry enough to do it...that would've been done when he did Politically Incorrect on Comedy Central, and said the terrorists weren't cowards. He ended up being fired for that remark, but not fired at!

To say there are personal, social, or professional repercussions is just silly. Maher knows that 90% of what he says, could cause that. And he doesn't care. So, making a documentary that would do the same thing, I highly doubt, he's worried about.

antigeekess Oct. 13, 2008 @ 8:33 p.m.

90% of what he says isn't 100% focused on religion. Nor is it a theatrical release that's unescapably advertised in everyone's faces.

Especially during an election year when the crazy right-wingers are already in a foaming-at-the-mouth panic & yelling "Kill him!" about Barack Obama, who couldn't ever offend as many of them as Maher does on a single slow day.

But I suppose as someone who's deliberately offensive on an almost daily basis in an attempt to be "provocative" or "controversial," it's pretty much required for you to maintain that sort of comforting naivete.

At least when Maher does it, he usually has a decent point to make. Let's just hope he doesn't end up as Bill Maher: Sacrificial Lamb.

Wouldn't THAT be ironic?

Josh Board Oct. 13, 2008 @ 11:31 p.m.

Well, Maher actually had a good point with his terrorist thing after 9/11. He just sounded smarmy, and that probably turned so many people off, and they didn't listen to what he was saying. His point was....these cats died FOR THEIR RELIGION, by going into a plane, knowing they wouldn't come back. That's a lot of things, but "cowardly" certainly isn't one of them.

How many people in this country, would "die" for their religion? Probably not many (which is good).

antigeekess Oct. 15, 2008 @ 12:30 a.m.

Yup. He was right. Not exactly "cowardly." Dumb adjective to use in that case. Crazy, yes. Fanatical, misguided...a whole lot of other things. But "cowardly?"

I always find it interesting when most people in this country are confronted with death. (Someone else's.) Their behavior is usually pretty ridiculous, considering the idea that their loved one has just gotten launched to go see Jesus and all.

To me, death is the barometer. Lets me know that most of them, when push comes to shove -- especially that LAST big shove into the Abyss, the Great Beyond, whatever -- don't even BELIEVE their own religion.

antigeekess Oct. 16, 2008 @ 11:56 p.m.

That's not the opposite.

It's the same thing.

While it may be true that there are "no atheists in foxholes," what you basically have is pretty much EVERYBODY turning into agnostics when confronted with the big dirt nap.

The certain -- on either end of the spectrum -- have this amazing tendency to become very UNcertain when their final breath is near.

Whether they're in a foxhole, or the front pew every Sunday.

Win a $25 Gift Card to
The Broken Yolk Cafe

Join our newsletter list

Each newsletter subscription means another chance to win!