Dorian Hargrove 9:31 p.m., May 23
One last thing.
One more word on Christian movies and I'll stop. (Maybe we can talk about Tyler Perry next!)
This trailer for Courageous ran before Soul Surfer. It's from the makers of Fireproof, which was not a movie so much as an attempt to get Christian men to take their marriages more seriously. To that end, the film served as a feature-length commercial for a real life book, The Love Dare. Courageous, from the looks of things, aims get Christian men to take their role as father more seriously. Framed copies of the resolution that figures prominently in the trailer will no doubt be available for purchase. The film will probably succeed at the box office, just like Soul Surfer (which has taken in $37 million so far on an $18 million budget). But it will do so on different terms. Soul Surfer may have been thin on story, but it was, in the end, a story.
More like this:
- Interview with Solomon Kane writer-director Michael J. Bassett — Sept. 28, 2012
- A Closer, er, Wider Look at the Trailer for Men in Black 3: The Blackening — Dec. 15, 2011
- Snark Week: Amber Heard profiled in the Chicago Sun-Times — Oct. 31, 2011
- So, What Did You Do Friday Night? — Oct. 11, 2011
- Review: Soul Surfer — May 10, 2011