Birch Aquarium at Scripps
Facility is a component of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at UCSD. More than 60 tanks contain marine life of Pacific Northwest, California coastline, Mexico's Sea of Cortés, and South Pacific. The La Jolla Kelp Tank is a two-story-high tank with giant kelp plants and nearly 30 species of local marine life.
Friday, October 20, 6:00 p.m.
Saturday, October 21, 6:00 p.m.
ExhibitsThe Infinity Cube at Birch Aquarium at Scripps is an immersive art installation that explores bioluminescence by combining glowing creatures with world-class science, high-tech projection, and an original soundscape. Step into an eight-foot cube and become surrounded by video projections of single-celled marine organisms — called dinoflagellates — reacting to various stimulants such as the human heartbeat, music, water flow, and air pressure. Through activities and interpretation accompanying the installation, guests will have opportunities to learn more about the phenomenon of living light and how marine species use it for camouflage, protection, and communication. The exhibition is open 9am - 5pm daily through 12/31 and is included with the price of admission.
|Sunday||9 a.m. to 5 p.m.|
|Monday||9 a.m. to 5 p.m.|
|Tuesday||9 a.m. to 5 p.m.|
|Wednesday||9 a.m. to 5 p.m.|
|Thursday||9 a.m. to 5 p.m.|
|Friday||9 a.m. to 5 p.m.|
|Saturday||9 a.m. to 5 p.m.|
- "Seagoing action" · Aug. 31, 2016
- "When Bill Clinton claimed the couch" · March 24, 2016
- "Fishing for dollars" · June 24, 2015
- "Water-quality control taught young" · Nov. 9, 2014
- "Scripps institution of mystery" · May 29, 2013
- "Tommy Castro Prompts Birch Aquarium to Git on Up" · Sept. 23, 2010
- "You probably ate some kelp today" · Nov. 6, 2006