Ian Anderson 3 p.m., Dec. 12
Gaskill grave site. The Gaskill brothers founded Campo in 1868. The army had a telegraph office there. The stage coaches of John G. Capron stopped on twice weekly runs to and from Tucson. The 10-mule freight wagons which kept Fort Yuma supplied were routed through Campo.
Posted October 26, 2000
Stories this photo appears in:
The graves of San Diego founders Horton, Sherman, Gaskill, Marston, Jessop, and Ah Quin
A cemetery would be started above Old Town the following year, but it was too far away for people in New Town. Old Town was a Catholic community, and Protestants were streaming into New Town and forming churches.