It is true that the trolley—especially on University Avenue—often caused a backup of frustrated motorists, since it traveled down the street’s center and allowed for little passing room on the sides.
April, 1948. In March of 1948 the Spreckels interests agreed on the sale to a company owned by J. L. Haugh of Oakland. Haugh made clear from the outset his intention to carry on with the elimination of the trolley cars.
Posted February 15, 1979
Stories this photo appears in:
The glories of San Diego's trolley system