Qualcomm building, San Diego
  • Qualcomm building, San Diego

David Wu, a Qualcomm engineer, fell to his death from the sixth floor of Qualcomm’s AY building at its headquarters complex Sunday. The death was originally reported by Chinese media.

Similar Qualcomm suicides took place in 2010 and 2012. Because of layoffs and fears of more, along with weakeniing financial results, morale at Qualcomm has been low for some time. Qualcomm stated, “This is a sad week for us at Qualcomm and we are focused on providing support to our employees during this difficult time. As this is a private matter, we cannot provide further details. Our deepest condolences are with the famiy, friends, and colleagues of Mr. David Wu."

There are conflicting reports among employees. My original source (unidentified) told me, “[Wu] was at director level and then got demoted and became a [temporary]. He had been full-time for many years.”

Some employees are posting sharp comments on the website thelayoff.com. “My friend passed away today and Qualcomm is doing nothing about [it] except for sending an email,” said one anonymous poster. “Something is wrong with this company!!!” He or she claimed there have been five company suicides in eight years, but I could not confirm that.

Comments

Don Bauder June 19, 2018 @ 7:13 p.m.

Bill Jenkins: I have never heard the situation is that bad, although similar comments show up from time to time on thelayoff.com. Best, Don Bauder

mridolf June 20, 2018 @ 4:56 a.m.

Had not heard of this in local news. One question I'd like answered: Was he an H-1B hire?

Don Bauder June 20, 2018 @ 5:46 a.m.

mridolf:; Since according to my original source he had been at Qualcomm for a long time -- in a higher position -- I assume he was not a H--1B. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder June 20, 2018 @ 5:47 a.m.

Kevin Key: Qualcomm's layoffs have definitely created a morale problem. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh June 20, 2018 @ 7:35 a.m.

Since QCOM now has an excess of employees, largely "engineers", will they stop bellyaching about a lack of qualified applicants? And since these moves should result in a more rational organization, how about making the temporary employees into regular employees with benefits and some slight protection from arbitrary dismissal? Questions, questions I know. But that corporation and many others need to answer them.

BTW, a recent article in Barrons, the financial weekly, had QCOM on a short list of recommended buys, claiming that it was undervalued by some typical Wall Street measures, and would be a secure source of dividends going forward. Its current yield is over 4%, and that's generous. Nothing there to suggest it is struggling at all. Or maybe Wall Street and Dow Jones are mistaken.

Don Bauder June 20, 2018 @ 9:14 p.m.

Visduh: That is definitely a juicy dividend. I love stocks yielding 4% or more when I buy them (or close to 4%), but buying Qualcomm would be an ethics breach for me.

Qualcomm would appear to have an excess of employees, because it continues to lay some off. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder June 20, 2018 @ 9:15 p.m.

Mike Murphy: There is no suggestion that the decedent was selling secrets to China. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder June 21, 2018 @ 11:45 a.m.

Murphyjunk: Do you believe something like that will come out? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder June 20, 2018 @ 9:17 p.m.

Michael Jin: I hope you are wrong on that. I have stock in several telecoms, in the U.S., Japan, New Zealand, Canada, elsewhere. If I am a fool, let me know. Best, Don Bauder

SaintJerry June 21, 2018 @ 11:03 a.m.

Letting you know. Take a appropriate action. Best, Saint Jerry.

Don Bauder June 21, 2018 @ 11:51 a.m.

SaintJerry: All the telecoms I own have huge shares of their markets. So I am hesitant to sell. The stock market is definitely overvalued historically. But it is only moderately overvalued in relation to bonds and cash. I am uneasy, but fairly content with telecoms with fat market shares selling for low PEs and high yields. Best, Don Bauder

concernedcitizen77 June 21, 2018 @ 6:08 p.m.

Q is throwing H1B's overboard now?!

Heard that they make citizens train HIB foreign workers to replace the people training them...True!?!?

Don Bauder June 21, 2018 @ 8:12 p.m.

concernedcitizen77: I am pretty sure that the decedent was not a H-1B. Best, Don Bauder

Get $5 off any Reader event

Sign up for our email list to get your promo code