Ryan Henry Hanson was booked into custody on May 28.
  • Ryan Henry Hanson was booked into custody on May 28.
  • Letter to Editor
  • Pin it

“I had just came back from the grocery store,” said Gary. The two-door car that belonged to the boyfriend of his housemate Katie was there. “His vehicle was in the driveway.”

Katie had her own room in the two-bedroom one-bath house on Garfield Street in Oceanside. It was a fixer-upper, and Gary was doing work on the house. Ryan was Katie’s on-again off-again boyfriend.

Gary put the groceries in the house and then came back out onto the front porch. “It looked like they were leaving.” It was a Thursday, in the middle of the day, after 11 a.m., on October 5, 2017.

Gary could see that something was wrong. “It looked like he was forcing her toward the car. I noticed he was being very forceful toward her.” Gary watched them walk toward the passenger side of his car, “She was whimpering ow ow, and then I realized he was hurting her.”

Gary said he could see through the windows of the car. “He opened the door, and with one hand he was trying to shove her in the car, with the other hand he was trying to secretly do it, so it was not real obvious what he was doing.” But Gary said he could see. “He had a pair of scissors in his hands and was jabbing her.”

Gary was a witness later, in court. “When she lifted her hand up I saw the blood.” And there was blood on her leg. A prosecutor showed evidence photos of a wound on the woman’s hand and one leg.

Gary, 56, said that Katie’s boyfriend is bigger and younger than him. Ryan is 42 years old and 6 feet tall and 220 pounds. “I didn’t want to approach him but I didn’t want to see him hurt Katie anymore.” Katie was 35 then.

So, “I stepped off the porch and said 'What’s going on?' The larger man said, 'everything’s fine' and 'I’m just trying to calm her down and get her out of here' and “That’s when he reared back and slugged me in the face.” Gary testified in court on June 13, 2018.

“I fell to the ground. I never been hit that hard before. I don’t know if I went out totally, I’m not sure. What I remember next I was on the ground.” When Gary became aware again, he said that Ryan “was trying to manhandle Katie again and she was yelling to call the police.”

But when the bigger man saw Gary get his phone out, he hurried back to where Gary was; the two men struggled over the phone and “Katie ran away.”

Gary said he did seek medical help when his left eye swelled shut, but they did not find any broken bones. He said that eight months later, “I see double occasionally and sometimes my eyes get stuck cross-eyed.”

A prosecutor alleged that one week after the violent incident, on October 11, a large rock was thrown through a front window of that house on Garfield Street. And again on October 16, another large rock was thrown through another window of that house. Each of these incidents caused about $700 damage, according to testimony at the preliminary hearing.

Ryan Henry Hanson was booked into custody on May 28, 2018. He pleads not guilty to four felonies: domestic violence, two assaults, and felony vandalism. He is currently held in lieu of $205,554 bail.

The prosecutor claims that Hanson has four felony convictions from 2009 in San Diego County, when he was 33 years old. These are stolen property and identity theft crimes.

Judge Sim von Kalinowski found that Hanson is in violation of probation on two more recent cases, both misdemeanors, under the influence and possession of drugs.

The judge also ordered Hanson to face trial on the four felonies in his most recent case. The defendant is next due in court on July 11 to set a trial date.

  • Letter to Editor
  • Pin it

More from SDReader


AlexClarke June 16, 2018 @ 6:26 a.m.

Just another dirt bag that needs to go to prison for the rest of his worthless life.


Visduh June 16, 2018 @ 8:09 a.m.

Some women have the worst luck when it comes to picking out boyfriends!


Eva Knott June 18, 2018 @ 9:24 a.m.

The witness claimed he could see what was going on, in the driveway, while he was standing on the porch.


Eva Knott Aug. 10, 2018 @ 7:02 a.m.

Ryan Henry Hanson, 42, made a plea deal and was sentenced this week, on August 8, 2018. Prosecutor Jennifer Reischl released a statement after the sentencing hearing. “Mr. Hanson was sentenced yesterday afternoon. He pled guilty to one felony count of PC245(a)(4). He was sentenced to 365 days custody, with release to a Residential Drug Treatment program after 270 days custody. He was placed on 3 years of formal felony probation with the standard terms and conditions of probation.”


Sign in to comment

Let’s Be Friends

Subscribe for local event alerts, concerts tickets, promotions and more from the San Diego Reader