Early earnings for University of California at San Diego grads is $58,600.
  • Early earnings for University of California at San Diego grads is $58,600.

The University of California at San Diego is the second best educational institution in the nation, according to a new ranking of universities and colleges by Money magazine.

Among the factors going into the study are graduation rates, tuition charges, family borrowing, aliumni earnings, average student debt, early career earnings, and median SAT/ACT scores. Princeton is number one: its grads haul in $69,800 a year out of school. But early earnings for second-place University of California at San Diego grads is $58,600.

California schools take over the big slots, muscling out Ivy League schools. University of California at Irvine is 3rd, University of Calfornia at Los Angeles 4th, Stanford 5th, and the University of California at Berkeley 7th.

But look at those heralded — indeed, worshipped -- Ivy League schools that dominate other college rankings as well as such institutions as the Supreme Court: Yale 15th, Harvard 16th, Dartmouth 44th. Among other normally highly rated schools that are kicked downstairs by the magazine are the University of Chicago 37th and Swarthmore 42nd.

Comments

shirleyberan Aug. 14, 2018 @ 2:14 p.m.

Nice, finally, good news for Cali. Kids can afford to stay after they graduate.

Don Bauder Aug. 14, 2018 @ 9:21 p.m.

shirleyberan: True. But they still have to find housing and must handle college debt. That's one reason so many go to work in biotech, where salaries are much higher. Best, Don Bauder

swell Aug. 14, 2018 @ 4:20 p.m.

meh

Very few grads from CA schools will be presidents, senators or CEOs of Fortune 500 companies. It's not what you know, it's WHO you know Back East.

Don Bauder Aug. 14, 2018 @ 9:23 p.m.

swell: I agree. The Ivy League schools still dominate the Supreme Court, and their grads get top jobs on Wall Street, because of family connections back East. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 14, 2018 @ 9:25 p.m.

clockerbob: I believe it is pronounced Hahvahd Yahd. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh Aug. 15, 2018 @ 6:53 a.m.

Forgive me for my continued skepticism of these rating systems and the results they produce. This system of ratings seems simpler and more transparent than many, but I still doubt those starting salaries. There is no way to verify salary claims made, and I've always questioned them, in that those who do well may tell the truth, but those who do not tend to inflate.

Locally we can brag a bit about this high rating; let's just not take it too seriously.

Don Bauder Aug. 15, 2018 @ 7:55 a.m.

Visduh: These rankings have long been challenged. How do you rate one university against another? How do you tell which university has the best American history department, or business school? Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan Aug. 15, 2018 @ 11:06 a.m.

If they'd rather live on the East Coast they're already unbalanced. Don - I gotta share this with you and your audience: CNN has "A History of Comedy" special series where I heard Bobcat Goldthwait say, "Censoring the Artist is the Ultimate Obscenity". Pretty smart for a guy from NY who used to be nutso.

Don Bauder Aug. 15, 2018 @ 11:51 a.m.

shirleyberan: I worked for nine years for a publication based in New York City. I was in Chicago and Cleveland. I lived in terror of being "promoted" to New York. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Aug. 15, 2018 @ 11:52 a.m.

Mike Murphy: The survey touched on student debt. I don't know that any students or ex-students were interviewed. I think not. Best, Don Bauder

Let’s Be Friends

Subscribe for local event alerts, concerts tickets, promotions and more from the San Diego Reader