Anthony Robbins
  • Anthony Robbins

Tony Robbins, the self-help guru and life philosopher, has gotten a lesson on life. It recently came out that in a San Jose seminar last month, he had scolded women for the #MeToo movement. A video of his doing so went viral. He was beseiged with complaints.

According to Mediaite.com, Robbins had criticized the #MeToo movement and claimed women were using it as a “drug” to “try and get significance.” Men who have been accused of sexual harassment have been abused, Robbins claimed to an audience that understandably gave him a hard time.

Wrote hollywooodlife.com, “Tony Robbins should know better….after the life coach disgustingly claimed women are using the [#MeToo] movement to ‘feel significant,’ Twitter fought back. Robbins told women in the audience, “If you use the #MeToo movement to try to get significance and certainty by attacking and destroying someone else, you haven’t grown an ounce.” He claimed he knew of a boss who was interviewing candidates for a job. The most qualified one was very attractive. Worrying that he might get in trouble, he did not hire her.

Yesterday (April 8), he said he fully supports the #MeToo movement and he wants to be “part of the solution.”

Robbins’s management crew, Robbins Research International, is based in San Diego. Robbins spends much of his time at his Florida mansion.

Comments

dwbat April 9, 2018 @ 4:24 p.m.

Tony Robbins (born Anthony J. Mahavoric) gives me the creeps.

Don Bauder April 10, 2018 @ 7:23 a.m.

dwbat: Understood. But he has made a bundle of money being the way he is. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan April 9, 2018 @ 4:53 p.m.

Robbins was using therapeutic teaching tools to provoke anger in a survivor who took offense to what he said about #metoo. He explained he was demonstrating that anger is not a solution and only provokes more anger. But the issue won't be recognized for anything it really is by abusive men's minds. It is not easily explained because everybody doesn't give a hoot what girls and women have to deal with. Pretending that prejudice towards the female gender is not prevalent here - doesn't excuse debilitating discrimination. Although, claims of abuse and sexual misconduct may be subjective to a woman's other personal experiences or biases, which has become a problem for innocent men.

Don Bauder April 10, 2018 @ 7:25 a.m.

shirleyberan: Robbins's alibi for his behavior is hardly persuasive. I listened to his statements. They were repugnant. Best, Don Bauder

SportsFan0000 April 10, 2018 @ 2:31 a.m.

Don, did you see Drew Brees is suing a a San Diego Jeweler for 9M for scamming him on diamond purchases?!

Don Bauder April 10, 2018 @ 7:26 a.m.

SportsFan0000: Yes, I saw that, and didn't turn it in as a blog item because a TV station had used it 17 hours earlier. In hindsight, that was a mistake. Best, Don Bauder

SportsFan0000 April 10, 2018 @ 9:35 a.m.

Many do not watch the local news etc...could still be topical on this forum..

Don Bauder April 10, 2018 @ 9:59 a.m.

SportsFan0000: Yes, you are right and I was wrong. Had I sent it in to be posted right away, I would have beaten the U-T by at least a day. Best, Don Bauder

SportsFan0000 April 10, 2018 @ 2:39 a.m.

From a homeless guy sleeping in his car in San Diego to a life coach?!

As Don King used to say: "Only in America"..

Don Bauder April 10, 2018 @ 7:28 a.m.

SportsFan0000: I have never heard that he was once homeless. It sounds like the kind of tale he would make up for his presentations. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat April 10, 2018 @ 7:50 a.m.

Don't know about homeless. But wikipedia states of his early days: "Robbins later worked as a janitor, and did not attend college."

Don Bauder April 10, 2018 @ 10:02 a.m.

dwbat: Yes, I had heard he didn't attend college. It would be interesting to know how he got to be a life coach, and wowed such a huge audience. I will bet that is available on Wikipedia. Best, Don Bauder

SportsFan0000 April 12, 2018 @ 12:23 p.m.

Robbins then shares similar past experiences of his own, remembering that Denny's had one of the few parking lots that wouldn't kick him out for sleeping in his car. T

SportsFan0000 April 12, 2018 @ 12:30 p.m.

Robbins has represented to the Media repeatedly that he was formerly homeless...He has donated money to a struggling food pantry that feeds the poor and homeless in SF, a nunnery, and supposedly donates millions to feed the homeless every year...Don't know if it is for publicity or if his intentions are honorable. https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/...">https://www.desertsun.com/story/news/...

SportsFan0000 April 12, 2018 @ 12:31 p.m.

"He was poor as a child and homeless as a teenager, and he likes to tell the story of how profoundly it touched him when a stranger once gave his hungry family a basket of food". https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/dj-khale...">https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/dj-khale...

AlexClarke April 10, 2018 @ 6:55 a.m.

Just more proof that there is no limit to human stupidity.

Don Bauder April 10, 2018 @ 7:30 a.m.

AlexClarke: On the other hand, Bill and Hillary Clinton had Robbins perform at the White House. Whatever else they are, the Clintons are not stupid. Robbins must have some kind of charisma. Best, Don Baude

AlexClarke April 10, 2018 @ 5:26 p.m.

Every con man has lots of charisma that's how they fleece the sheep.

shirleyberan April 10, 2018 @ 7:59 a.m.

He has inspired many to be stronger, save themselves, see their own value, make their lives better. You can't expect perfection out of the guy. So what he's egocentric, it's a misogyny lesson to learn from. Is he hateful of weakness or women?

Don Bauder April 10, 2018 @ 10:07 a.m.

shirleyberan: I have always been skeptical of his powers of inspiration, but I have never heard nor seen him perform. We journalists are always skeptical. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder April 10, 2018 @ 9:25 a.m.

MEGYN KELLY TODAY GUEST THINKS TONY ROBBINS STILL DOESN'T GET IT. This morning (April 10), Nanine McCool, the woman who challenged Tony Robbins at the San Jose seminar, said on the show "Megyn Kelly Today"that Robbins still doesn't grasp his stupidity. She discussed her challenge of Robbins at the San Jose seminar.

Robbins had criticized the #MeToo movement. McCool responded to Kelly about Robbins's written apology. "First, I don't understand how he can say he has nothing but respect for the movement when he clearly doesn't understand it. And the things that he said and messages that he, or the points he was trying to make and the interaction with me, seemed to be contrary to respecting women."

She continued, "But I am hopeful that he realizes now that he has a lot to learn; he said that. And I think that is a good thing." Best, Don Bauder

Best, Don Bauder

Ponzi April 10, 2018 @ 10:56 a.m.

Just a few things Tony Robbins does at his shows:

Bullies a woman into calling her boyfriend and breaking up with him while 2,500 people watch.

Encourages a survivor of systemic childhood rape to tell the story of her abuse without preparation (or really, consent) in front the entire audience. He then encourages her to form artificially deep and vulnerable relationships with three random ass dudes from the audience who are supposed to check in on her. She is to refer to these men as her “uncles.”

Asks people dealing with suicidal ideation to identify themselves to the entire group. Robbins doesn’t seem to understand the full scope of the mental illness and forgets that suicide can sometimes result from people opening up before they are ready. Robbins then singles out a young man, stands in this man’s personal space, talks to him about his desire to kill himself, mocks his shoes, and then claims that the guy is cured.

Don Bauder April 10, 2018 @ 11:35 a.m.

Ponzi: That is horrible. Since you are one of our really honest contributors, I believe you. Robbins reminds me of shock jocks. They get paid to be outrageous. But one time they get too outrageous, become a target for widespread vituperation, and then go out looking for a job in a different market.

It appears that Robbins's appeal is his willingness to say things that nobody else dares to say. But it looks like he got too close to the line on this one. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan April 10, 2018 @ 12:10 p.m.

Ponzi - now I remember some of those examples and it is as you say. I don't follow the careers of false prophets. You're the smart one.

Don Bauder April 10, 2018 @ 1:06 p.m.

shirleyberan: Ponzi is definitely a smart one. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan April 10, 2018 @ 12:29 p.m.

Goes to show you, anybody can be a life coach. Robbins got in on the early novelty of it. Reminds me of a guy who worked at the Veteran's recovery hospital as a counselor. I watched him get hyped at his ability for public speaking - show. His message kinda got lost seeing him huffandpuff his way across the front of the room, back and forth, talking, exciting himself. I thought an example of tranquility would better help recovering addicts to wellness, but he was getting paid and I was volunteer. He used to make jokes about President Bush to the patient/residents. I didn't think that was appropriate for soldiers to hear either.

Don Bauder April 10, 2018 @ 1:10 p.m.

shirleyberan:Yes. The president is commander-in-chief. It's OK to satirize a president on Saturday Night Live, but not in the forum you suggest. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan April 10, 2018 @ 12:42 p.m.

Oh, the end of that story was the guy relapsed on whatever his drug choice was, didn't make it in to work and was fired from a perfectly good (veteran's) counseling position. Their program relied heavily on AA, practice of 12 steps, prayer.

Don Bauder April 10, 2018 @ 1:12 p.m.

shirleyberan: When the coach relapses, it's a problem. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder April 10, 2018 @ 2:58 p.m.

Mike Murphy: People who fall for religion hook, line, and sinker, and people who are easily hypnotized, are taken in by someone like Robbins That's one reason why religion is the ultimate con (in my opinion, of course.) The guy is told if you pay the preacher money, he will get you into heaven. Nobody has ever returned and demanded his money back.

There are exceptions that make the rule. Rachmaninoff fell into a deep depression when his Symphony No. 1 flopped. He went to a hypnotist, who may or may not have been Mesmer, or a student of Mesmer. When he came out of the hypnotism, he penned his Piano Concerto No. 2, his most famous and beloved work. Best, Don Bauder

dwbat April 10, 2018 @ 6:17 p.m.

"Elmer Gantry" (novel and movie) covered this so well. Burt Lancaster was amazing in it.

Don Bauder April 10, 2018 @ 8:10 p.m.

dwbat: It's an observation that goes back centuries. Best, Don Bauder

Darren April 11, 2018 @ 5:17 p.m.

I had two companies, one a software CRM consultancy ($ales success/customer service), the other a jet charter brokerage. Tried to do biz with the Robbins' companies, the first (software) was thru my own prospecting/cultivation efforts. The second encounter was a referral to me, that Tony was looking for a charter airplane to take him to Burbank for an interview. Both processes with Tony Robbins' companies were that they view vendors as dirt bags and pit them against each other in pricing bids. Incredible hammering for best price with no patronage nor loyalty. It's just looked at as a transaction to benefit Tony. I always thought this was contrary to what Tony teaches in his seminars. Yes, he kept us vendors feet-to-the-fire (his infamous hot coals walk). One last part, Tony wanted that Burbank charter, I put that one together for the conglomerate. He flew up on a cheap twin-engine Cessna 310, but while at Burbank Airport, insisted to a corporate jet pilot crew, that he stand on the air stair of a Gulfstream jet (about a $6-10+ million dollar difference in value compared to the Cessna), leading the reporter and photographer to think that Tony flew up on his own Gulfstream. It's all about optics in that #FakeWorld. Later on his executive assistant contacted me and said Tony was happy with my work and had a road show tour he was doing and wanted me to price it. While working on the bid I found out Tony's assistant had called about 15 air charter companies, so I bowed out and told the assistant they started a price war (dogfight) and I was not one to be involved in that, so good luck to them.

Don Bauder April 11, 2018 @ 9:42 p.m.

Darren: Tony Robbins walks on hot coals. He thinks he walks on water. I think that may explain the business practices you experienced. Best, Don Bauder

Darren April 11, 2018 @ 11:23 p.m.

Dear Don, you nailed that one for sure. I think Tony thinks he is Jesus too.

Don Bauder April 12, 2018 @ 8:28 a.m.

Darren: You mean I am taking Robbins's name in vain when I am upset about something? Best, Don Bauder

Ponzi April 11, 2018 @ 8:03 p.m.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/users/p...">https://media.sandiegoreader.com/img/..." alt="None">

Tony's long lost twin... separated at birth.

Visduh April 11, 2018 @ 8:57 p.m.

You really, really don't like Robbins, do you Ponz?

Don Bauder April 11, 2018 @ 9:45 p.m.

Visduh: Ponzi doesn't like Robbins but he loves Blue Jays and Indigo Buntings. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder April 12, 2018 @ 8:29 a.m.

dwbat: The investors in the movie "Jaws" probably got richer than Robbins is today. Best, Donn Bauder

dwbat April 12, 2018 @ 5:28 p.m.

"Jaws" was not in the movie "Jaws." Per wikipedia: Jaws is a fictional character in the James Bond films "The Spy Who Loved Me" and "Moonraker," played in both films by Richard Kiel.

Don Bauder April 13, 2018 @ 2:29 p.m.

dwbat: I stand corrected. I should go to movies more often Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK April 12, 2018 @ 7:27 a.m.

but when Robbins puts the bite on you, you may not realize it till much later.

Don Bauder April 12, 2018 @ 3:36 p.m.

Murphyjunk: Robbins bites. Robins peck, or more likely, fly away. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder April 12, 2018 @ 8:31 a.m.

Murphyjunk: Hooray for the lady at the San Jose forum who slammed him for his stupid remarks, forcing him to walk back his remarks. Best, Don Bauder

SportsFan0000 April 12, 2018 @ 12:46 p.m.

Sounds like his behavior at his "seminars" is sexist and reprehensible...Outing people who are suicidal and have mental problems?! Offering public "shame counselling", "marital counselling" and "mental health" advice to get a few laughs from his crowd of sheep?!

Base on his serial marriage history, I don't think this is the guy that should be giving others marital counselling..

I am surprised that Robbins doesn't get sued on a regular basis. I have read that he was sued and almost criminally prosecuted for his fire walking stunt that sent numerous people to the hospital with burn injuries...

I can imagine the thinking process of some of his attendees:\

Let's see, do phone in and give thousands to a TV scam preacher OR attend a live seminar and give thousands to this snake oil salesman?! Decisions, Decisions...

Don Bauder April 12, 2018 @ 3:43 p.m.

SporrtsFan0000: The last story I did for Business Week was about a TV preacher in Akron who had a fancy cathedral. I was particularly interested that he had received a loan from the Central States Teamsters Fund, which at that time was a fount of dirty money,

I used to drive down to Akron a lot because I covered the tire industry. I would go by his cathedral. Almost invariably, there would be a bus and rural residents of the Appalachias would emerge. I knew that the preacher had plans to fleece them. I can't remember his name. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan April 13, 2018 @ 8:30 a.m.

Foot-in-mouth disease, reversible, first you have to want to change.

Don Bauder April 13, 2018 @ 2:31 p.m.

shirleyberan: Why change if you might get elected president? Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK April 14, 2018 @ 7:41 a.m.

the line " doing good for selfish reasons does not make one good, it just makes one good at being selfish" comes to mine with Robbins ilk .

Don Bauder April 15, 2018 @ 4:40 p.m.

Murphyjunk: He and many others in our society are doing well by doing good. Best, Don Bauder

Darren April 16, 2018 @ 7:54 p.m.

Tony was taught or tried to master NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) which is the methods he uses on other people, thus becoming succe$$ful. For all I know, Tony is also a closet COS (Church of Scientology) who worships L. Ron Hubbard when he is in his basement, while also worshiping Anton Levey and Jack Parsons...it's a weird thing that is why they like that fire/hot coal walking. Hey man, if it makes your $ell more books, can you blame Uncle Tony?

Get $5 off any Reader event

Sign up for our email list to get your promo code