Employees at Jacobs Medical Center at the University of California San Diego this week received a memo saying that if they see or detect anyone who is impaired, they should report the incident immediately to officials there, such as Thomas Moore, dean of clinical affairs; Richard Clark, medical director of the division of toxicology; Margarita Baggett, chief clinical director, and others.

The memo is believed to result from an incident September 21 when a surgeon fell down twice during a transplant operation, and was not replaced. The patient allegedly died. The following day, the surgeon was allegedly put on ten-day administrative leave. At the end of the leave, there will allegedly be an investigation.

Scott LaFee, director of media relations at UC San Diego Health Marketing and Communications, initially would only say, "We cannot comment on any current or ongoing reviews involving personnel matters." Two more times, I shot specific questions to him about the alleged incident. The final time, I also sent the memo to three of his colleagues.

At day's end yesterday (September 27), LaFee said, "We are aware of this issue."

I was told the name of the doctor allegedly involved and tried unsuccessfully to reach him.

Comments

SportsFan0000 Sept. 30, 2017 @ 11:08 p.m.

Who was the poor sucker who died while this incompetent and obviously impaired Doctor worked on him/her?!

KLoEditor Oct. 1, 2017 @ 12:11 p.m.

Okay, I know you're trying to be legally careful, Don, but, "the patient allegedly died"? I think death is pretty much an either/or deal. Did s/he or didn't s/he pass away?

Don Bauder Oct. 2, 2017 @ 3:58 p.m.

KloEditor: l am just being cautious. As an editor, I think you understand. UCSD ism not giving out information. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Oct. 2, 2017 @ 3:53 p.m.

Sportscfanoooo. I do not know the name of the alleged decedent. I do know the name of the alleged doctor but I will not reveal that until the alleged investigation is complete. Best, Don Bauder

july1962 Feb. 20, 2018 @ 7:20 p.m.

Why? Good reporters often report on a "suspect" in a case. OJ Simpson was a "suspect" on the freeway, that all took place before the investigation was complete. Do you think they should have turned off the cameras and said, I'm not going to reveal who it is until the investigation is complete?

I think you just don't want to be caught with a story you have no real evidence on.

MikeErlanson Nov. 17, 2017 @ 7:30 p.m.

Hi, any updates on the investigation or the name of the physician?

alexpaul March 14, 2018 @ 9:33 p.m.

I wonder why the hospital administration didn’t take any action during the surgery and let him carry on with the surgery. In my opinion, that doctor should no longer be given permission to conduct any surgeries further. etg test

Let’s Be Friends

Subscribe for local event alerts, concerts tickets, promotions and more from the San Diego Reader