David Chao
  • David Chao

The Medical Board of California has given Dr. David Jee Wei Chao, former Chargers physician, four years of probation. In April of last year, the board accused the doctor of repeated negligent acts, unprofessional conduct, failure to keep accurate records, and other matters.

Junior Seau when he played for the New England Patriots (2006–2009)

Wikipedia/Ângulo ótimo

Chao was a close friend of late Chargers star Junior Seau as well as his physician. Seau committed suicide in 2012, and it was later determined that he had suffered chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a severe kind of brain injury, as a result of his two decades of professional football.

In the past year and a half of Seau's life, Chao had written him 14 prescriptions for Ambien, a controlled substance that can worsen the effects of depression and suicidal thoughts, the board noted. Chao had declared that Seau was free of depression or psychological issues one week before the player killed himself.

The board said that Chao cannot prescribe Ambien during his probationary period. He also has to take courses in prescribing procedures, medical record-keeping, and ethics. The board issued a reprimand against Chao in 2012 and put him on five-year probation two years later.

Sponsor Partners

Comments

Flapper Feb. 26, 2017 @ 9:55 p.m.

My doctors gave me ambien for years, then abrubtly took me off, but would never tell me why. To MD's: Look inward at your cynical culture that treats patients like children--it's patronizing. It should stop.

How much was Seau taking?

Tragic.

Don Bauder Feb. 27, 2017 @ 1:45 p.m.

Flapper: In the last year and a half before Seau's suicide, Chao gave the star 14 prescriptions. But that doesn't mean there were only 14 treatments in that time span. Best, Don Bauder

Flapper Feb. 27, 2017 @ 2:49 p.m.

Let's face it; we are all lab rats.

Don Bauder Feb. 27, 2017 @ 8:06 p.m.

Flapper: Trump wants to cut regulation by 75 percent. Will he spare the Food and Drug Administration? I don't believe in prayer, but if I did, I would pray that the FDA is not chopped. Best, Don Bauder

Flapper Feb. 27, 2017 @ 8:18 p.m.

I take several medications, and I'm not sure of their effects on me. I presume they are largely responsible for me being alive and somewhat sane. But drug interactions, not to mention food--drug interactions, can be serious.

If Seau suffered because he was drugged like a racehorse, the doctor(s?) and NFL should be barred from practice if not sent to prison.

As to Trump's wants, they may well destroy the GOP, for better or for worse.

Don Bauder Feb. 28, 2017 @ 9:06 a.m.

Flapper: Anybody watching Trump can see he is a complete liar. He says whatever turns on his audience, even if it contradicts something he said previously. Three psychiatrists I know told me that they believe he is a psychotic narcissist. Trouble is, his base doesn't follow the news, or they just watch Fox and don't get honest news on Trump. Intelligent business CEOs don't care that he is disturbed; they just want a corporate tax cut and fewer regulations, which he promises, but may not be able to deliver.

This is an extremely dangerous time in our history. Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK March 1, 2017 @ 7:28 a.m.

check out Al Jazeera feed on the net, looks like accurate reporting

Don Bauder March 1, 2017 @ 7:35 a.m.

Murphyjunk: I will check Al Jazeera. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 1, 2017 @ 8:53 a.m.

Murphyjunk; Specifically, what Al Jazeera stories are you alluding to? I went on the site and found several that were relevant to the subject at hand. Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK March 1, 2017 @ 12:47 p.m.

none in particular, just a reference to a good news source when out of the country, Al Jazeera and bbc are my main news sources. ( even though fox and cnn are on also)

Don Bauder March 1, 2017 @ 9:08 p.m.

Murphyjunk: It is a shane Al Jazeera couldn't make it in the U.S. Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK March 2, 2017 @ 7:19 a.m.

they are everywhere, free if you use roku or their internet feed

Don Bauder March 2, 2017 @ 9:03 a.m.

Murphyjunk: I meant that Al Jazeera didn't make it as a TV network. Am I wrong on that? Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK March 2, 2017 @ 12:27 p.m.

I think its on sat tv and cable if you pay extra for it. we used to get on fta sat here in our business till they went to pay to see

Don Bauder March 2, 2017 @ 2 p.m.

Murphyjunk: According to the New York Times, the cable news channel Al Jazeera America, which debuted in 2013, announced in January of last year that it would shut down in April of 2016. The company explained that its business model was not sustainable in the U.S. media marketplace. Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK March 3, 2017 @ 7:02 a.m.

Its still on the net ( which comes to our place on the "cable" ) so they really did not go away,

Don Bauder March 3, 2017 @ 10:42 a.m.

Murphyjunk: Then you are fortunate. You can watch it. Best, Don Bauder

Ponzi March 2, 2017 @ 9:14 p.m.

A decade ago I was having sleep problems and was prescribed Ambien. One morning I was driving to do some errands and ran a stop sign. I only realized it after I went through it. The same morning when I returned home I drove up the curb and damaged the undercarriage of my car. I did not feel drowsy or intoxicated. It was so scary that I stopped taking the Ambien.

Don Bauder March 3, 2017 @ 10:45 a.m.

Ponzi: I have heard similar stories. My late brother had an experience worse than yours, although I can't remember the details. I hope the FDA is looking into Ambien. Best, Don Bauder

Win a $25 Gift Card to
The Broken Yolk Cafe

Join our newsletter list

Each newsletter subscription means another chance to win!