Matthew Lickona 8:30 a.m., Oct. 20
- Najarjuna — court advisor during the Satavahana dynasty
The Tree of Wisdom by Nagarjuna
Proponent of emptiness
- He who undertakes work which he cannot carry out,
- Who vies with the multitude and disputes with the powerful,
- Who lets a woman know his thoughts —
- The four gods of death sit at his door
- Leaving the patron, Buddha,
- And bowing to other gods,
- Is like a fool who comes to the bank of the Ganges
- And being thirsty digs a well.
- When he was carried off by the King of the Birds
- The White Lotus Serpent God said:
- “He who tells secrets to women
- “His life is lost there and then.”
- If all these human beings
- Could perceive the God of Death on their (own) heads,
- Even in food there would be no flavour.
- What need to mention other things?
- Death does not wait to ask whether
- your (composite) works are completed or not.
- Therefore do to-morrow’s work to-day,
- And the evening’s work in the morning.