Joel Alexander Wright, a former Ohio seminary student, was sentenced yesterday (July 1) to 188 months in federal prison for attempting to adopt or purchase female infants and toddlers in Tijuana so he could sexually molest them. Federal judge Dana M. Sabraw also imposed lifetime supervision on Wright.

In his plea agreement, Wright admitted that he authored numerous sexually explicit emails in which he described to an undercover agent how he intended to sexually assault Mexican children from infants to four years old. He stated in one email that he wanted to "adopt/own a baby girl (under the age of 3) and I want to have intercourse with her…the cheapest baby under 3 would be good."

In another email with an undercover agent, he said he had picked up infant pain-relief medications as well as lubricants.

Comments

shirleyberan July 2, 2016 @ 9 a.m.

The Good Donald - did you have to bring this to light on a Saturday morning? I could vomit. Monstrous putrid pedophile.

Don Bauder July 2, 2016 @ 11:04 a.m.

shirleyberan: Actually, I sent it in late Friday. It was just as repugnant then. I admit that it is hideous. The guy only gets 15 years? Best, Don Bauder

JohnERangel July 2, 2016 @ 9:44 a.m.

I've been following this story since it first broke. This is not the only case involving Americans who come down here and commit these atrocities. You regularly read such articles in the local newspapers. The good thing is that this creep got caught before he could cause too much harm. Obviously, this is what the Trumpenstein Monster is talking about when he babbles about rapists crossing boarders, Right?

Don Bauder July 2, 2016 @ 11:07 a.m.

JohnERangel: Except that Trump wails about rapists coming from Mexico to the U.S. This monster is an American (from Ohio) who was arranging to go down to Tijuana to buy an infant girl for sex purposes. Somebody should ask Trump about that. Best, Don Bauder

Flapper July 2, 2016 @ 12:51 p.m.

188 years would be more like it. One can think of more inhumane punishments, but that would bring society down to his (its) level.

The psychologists are not doing their job when they fail to (or are prohibited from?) scientifically learning just what creates all kinds of monsters. Nature, nurture, environment, or all three? Maybe epidemiologists could at least map where monsters come from to see if there's something in the water--or?

Are there organizations of such people? I've heard of a man/boy love association; I have heard that they have meetings in places like Thailand.

What happens when he gets out?

Don Bauder July 2, 2016 @ 9:54 p.m.

Flapper: Interesting topic: what creates monsters like this? Nature or nurture? I am not a psychologist, but I have tried to consult some professionals, and tried to read about what makes a con artist. (Con artists are one of my favorite topics.) How did those screws get loose? There are arguments on both sides -- nature and nurture.

An important question: how will the government protect this guy in prison? Pedophile priests have been murdered in prison. This is hundred times worse. Best, Don Bauder

Flapper July 2, 2016 @ 11:46 p.m.

Psychologists/Psychiatrists, if they are worthy of the name, owe society a quest for an answer, with regular performance reports.

(UCSD TV just had the film "Compulsion" on this afternoon.)

We visited friends who have two young daughters today, and I couldn't get this out of my mind . . .

Don Bauder July 2, 2016 @ 9:57 p.m.

Flapper: Merely disgusting? It's horrific. Best, Don Bauder

Flapper July 2, 2016 @ 11:48 p.m.

Where did I say "merely disgusting?"

Don Bauder July 3, 2016 @ 7:12 a.m.

Flapper: The Gary, Indiana judge used the word "disgusting" to describe the evidence in the case. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 3, 2016 @ 7:14 a.m.

Thomas Weller: Then I suppose the monster's lawyer would complain of cruel and inhuman punishment for his client. Best, Don Bauder

MURPHYJUNK July 3, 2016 @ 8:55 a.m.

too bad we don't see more stories in the news about the persons that offer these humans for sale. it should carry a swift death sentence .

Don Bauder July 3, 2016 @ 10:34 a.m.

Murphyjunk: Good point. Those who sell the girls, knowing the purposes of the purchases, should be sentenced to life, too. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 4, 2016 @ 5:10 p.m.

Murphyjunk: That's Western justice. I hope we are over that period. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 5, 2016 @ 9:38 a.m.

Murphyjunk: I'm not sure of that. If a monster is not caught the first time, he is not a repeat offender in the eyes of the law when he gets caught. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan July 3, 2016 @ 9:57 a.m.

In this case bad seed, bad brain function. No awareness of harm to others. Nurturing won't help, if there was any and sick people encourage each other.

Don Bauder July 3, 2016 @ 10:36 a.m.

shirleyberan: In crimes this hideous, I think genetics play a huge role. Such men are born with their screws loose. Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan July 3, 2016 @ 12:54 p.m.

Don - Oprah has psychiatrist Brian Weiss re-run. He has studied past life regression forever, wink, wink. Point is, soul exists before we are born, comes back to learn more...What if past pain is present...?

Flapper July 3, 2016 @ 1:31 p.m.

Maybe, maybe not. In science (aka reason or straight-thinking) hypotheses need to be tested, and the researcher should try to disprove an hypothesis, not prove it. Criticism, in other words starts with the self. All else tends to be bs, but that doesn't stop self-serving charlatans from SELLING it. Follow the money--and the ego.

In other words, that idea smells of road apples.

Don Bauder July 3, 2016 @ 4:48 p.m.

Flapper: Some excellent scientific work is being done in genetics these days -- some of it in San Diego. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder July 3, 2016 @ 1:26 p.m.

shirleyberan: I don't buy the soul argument, but I do believe that genes can determine reprehensible behavior. Best, Don Bauder

Flapper July 3, 2016 @ 1:36 p.m.

Genes, nurturing or its lack, and other environmental factors. No wonder demagogues like Stumpy Trumpy can get away with underestimating the intelligence of the public. Universal Education, anyone? Put Bernie on the ticket. He may not be perfect, but he's acutely aware of his shortcomings, something lacking in Donnybrook Boy.

Don Bauder July 3, 2016 @ 4:46 p.m.

Flapper: Trump was dispatched to a military school in high school. I wonder why. Best, Don Bauder

Flapper July 4, 2016 @ 9:44 a.m.

It must have been a malformative experience.

Don Bauder July 4, 2016 @ 10:04 a.m.

Flapper: I understand that Trump was an arrogant bully in his youth. Things haven't changed, have they? Best, Don Bauder

shirleyberan July 3, 2016 @ 4:57 p.m.

CNN Documentary last night explains Trump as a guy who borrowed tons of money knowing he wouldn't pay back because of bankruptcy knowledge.

Don Bauder July 4, 2016 @ 7:08 a.m.

shirleyberan: Because he didn't have much of his own money in these projects, his bondholders were the ones getting screwed in the Trump bankruptcies. Best, Don Bauder

AlexClarke July 4, 2016 @ 6:34 a.m.

You would not be able to print what I think should happen to those involved in the buying/selling of infants/children but I would have no problem putting a bullet in their heads.

Don Bauder July 4, 2016 @ 7:10 a.m.

AlexClarke: Trouble is, if you got caught, you would spend more time in prison than the perverts buying babies for sex. Best, Don Bauder