Crawford students
  • Crawford students
  • from sandiegounified.org

Two San Diego high schools are doing such a poor job at educating students and preparing them for college-level courses, it would be better if they shut their doors, says a new study released by educational research website Schoolie.com, which compiles and compares data from school districts throughout the state.

Will C. Crawford, superintendent of San Diego Unified School District from 1934 to 1954

from sandiegounified.org

In a new study, researchers found Crawford High School and San Diego Business Leadership School were among the state's 28 worst schools. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the lowest, Crawford scored a 3 and San Diego Business Leadership School scored a 2.5. The data revealed that each school was overpopulated, failed to provide an adequate number of college preparatory classes, didn't have enough teachers, and had some of the lowest college-readiness scores.

And while Crawford scored low on academics and college readiness, its scores for student support were very high, as was public safety at the school.

San Diego Business Leadership School also scored a 1.5 on academic rigor and 1.5 in college readiness.

According to the study, schools scoring 3 and under should be closed and their students moved to neighboring schools.

"Schoolie's education experts who analyzed the data were surprised by the number of California schools that rank below a [3],” reads the report.

"The numbers don't lie," said Schoolie founder Nasha Fitter in a statement. "When you have the ability to compare high schools throughout the state, you know precisely why some are succeeding and others are failing miserably."

Added the report, "Some educators believe the lowest ranking public schools are are so negligent in teaching students the most fundamental writing and math skills, let alone preparing them for college, they should be shut down immediatley [sic].”

Los Angeles, meanwhile, according to the Schoolie report, had 22 schools that were below the threshold.

Comments

Teacher26 Oct. 27, 2015 @ 4 p.m.

Do they take into account the fact that many of Crawford's students are English Language Learners? Does it take into account that these ELL have often time grown up in refugee camps and have no formal education at all before they come to Crawford? Natasha Fitter feel free to drop by Crawford any time and see the learning happening.

PS. Numbers aren't people...

monaghan Oct. 27, 2015 @ 5:26 p.m.

California teachers just hate to hear about statewide school rankings based on rubrics that show some schools are failures. At every turn the state is now eliminating tests that show the ugly truth about the extent of California's educational shortfall. (The CTA teachers union is afraid that students' test scores may be used as part of teachers' evaluations, as is the case in New York State.)

If every single student at Crawford were an English Language Learner recently arrived from Somalia -- which they are not -- it would not excuse an academic standing of 3 on a scale of ten. You need not close a historic high school, but you do need to make drastic changes in class sizes, kids' time on task, teachers' approach to instruction and leadership to accommodate the academic needs of those students. Where the heck is Superintendent Cindy Marten -- playing principal musical chairs ? Isn't this where that extra Jerry Brown tax money was supposed to go?

Visduh Oct. 27, 2015 @ 9:50 p.m.

Excellent questions indeed. I just keep wondering why in all the many years I've lived in this county I've never read or heard anything positive about Crawford. Could it be one of those schools that was so badly run for a few years that its internal culture is crippled and just can't ever get off its knees? And if you were a principal, would you go there? It is probably a quick ticket to a bad evaluation and demotion. As long as strong administrators avoid it, even leaving the district to avoid being assigned there, it won't excel.

AlexClarke Oct. 28, 2015 @ 5:53 a.m.

Our K-12 education system is out dated and completely dysfunctional. All school populations are not the same nor are teachers. I had K-12 teachers that I liked and ones I didn't. I had subjects that I liked and those I didn't. In all my classes there were "smart" kids and others who were not. In many classes I preformed above grade level and some below grade level. In the K-12 setting children are slotted into a grade by age and then moved along in the system grade by grade regardless of learning. It is very socially damaging to children who are "held back" a grade. My point is that children learn at different speeds and at different levels not at "age". I had courses that I was at grade level and some below and some above. One size does not fit all. As for teachers the ones I disliked were loved by many students and visa versa so, again one size does not fit all. Solution: Eliminate "grades" and assign students to classes at their level of learning and, to the extent possible, match students with teachers. I had a math teacher that I liked and although I was no math wiz I learned from him. Others who were in my class didn't learn from him. It was not the teacher it was the student. While I was able to go to college and have a degree I found that college was "easier" because of the choice of subjects and professors. As for Crawford you have to look at the administration, teachers, students and parents. Those schools that are very successful have supportive administration, motivated teachers, eager students and involved parents.

jnojr Oct. 28, 2015 @ 8:01 a.m.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that these are public schools, even with a name like "San Diego Business Leadership School". If they were private, the market would have already shut them down.

I will never understand why some people think it's a good idea to form a monopoly, tell all of the people working for the monopoly that they cannot be fired, and then act surprised when the monopoly provides dismal service. We know to a certainty that a free market works. Not perfectly, and not in every single case, but why is it better to drag everyone down to the lowest common denominator and then declare that to be "success"?

Yes, with a voucher program, some people will wind up screwed. But with the current system, we're ALL screwed... few if any students are actually able to learn to their full potential, and we all pay far too much for the result we get.

NoCoRes Oct. 28, 2015 @ 9:24 a.m.

I can understand when people become upset about low test grades. I also can understand that people want the best for all of our children. I can't understand why anyone would immediately write an article with the alarming headline "Close (Name of School) Immediately" based on the results of one test unless they are very familiar with that school. Are you very familiar with Crawford High School, Mr. Hargrove? Have you spent any time there getting to know the school and becoming familiar with the issues this particular school faces? Can you discuss those issues with us, allow us to understand the challenges and successes at this school, and recommend concrete solutions to real problems? Do you have any experience, as an adult, with education, Mr. Hargrove, so that we can feel confident in your assessment? Articles such as this, which are really just scare tactics, damage our students, our community, and our society much more than low test scores, and the fact that the Reader has chosen to publish this type of article tells me a lot about the depths to which the Reader has sunk.

Visduh Oct. 28, 2015 @ 4:38 p.m.

A close look at the article doesn't have Dorian advocating the shut down; instead he's reporting what a website thinks. Then there's the Reader headline writer, and he/she may have gone a bit overboard with the word "immediately" in the headline.

But, yes, some background on Schoolie, who it represents, what it analyzes, etc. would have been valuable and have rounded out the story.

anniej Oct. 28, 2015 @ 8:16 p.m.

Perhaps some data could be gathered regarding the involvement of the parents. Far too often we look to the educators and Admin as the culprits in under achieving schools - when In fact it is the supporting role of the parents that is lacking IN MANY CASES. I realize that many parents may take exception to my comment - I base it on many years of observation as a community member - schools host a meeting regarding education and hardly any parents turn out - but,,,, let the subject matter be sports related and there are not enough chairs.

*** to those parents who are caring enough to get involved and show up - no doubt your interest reflects in the performance of your child!

As always, just my opinion

Win a $25 Gift Card to
The Broken Yolk Cafe

Join our newsletter list

Each newsletter subscription means another chance to win!