Most of the P.B. Alehouse was saved, thanks to the fire station next door.
Photo by Barry Meyer
Last week, a grease fire broke out in the kitchen at Pacific Beach AleHouse. Fortunately, the coastal brewpub is located across the street from a fire station. Firefighters were able to put out the blaze but there was substantial damage — enough that PB AleHouse will be out of business for 60 days.
721 Grand Avenue, San Diego
P.B. Alehouse dining room
Most of the damage was done in the kitchen area, and ownership believes the brewery was unaffected. No brewing will be possible during the closure. The kitchen will be restored and some other small changes will likely be instituted in an effort to make lemonade out of charred lemons. While restoration is underway, the business is focusing on taking care of its staff and has been able to get a large portion of them hired on at Backyard Kitchen & Tap. That business will debut this Friday, February 27 at 832 Garnet Avenue in Pacific Beach.
This is the second fire at a brewing facility in the past year. The first came last July when Mira Mesa nanobrewery Wet ‘N Reckless burned, spelling the end of the business. Owner Dave Hyndman set up a Kickstarter campaign that came up well shy of its goal, but a second campaign netted him more than $9000, and he is in the process of reopening under the name Reckless Brewing Company.
Hyndman hopes to reopen in a space across the street from Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits’ newly installed Miramar brewery, tasting bar, and restaurant on Carroll Way and has told sources that venue will benefit from his overflow of patronage once his interest is operational.
(updated 2/26, 10 a.m.)