Central Park view from the condo
  • Central Park view from the condo
  • 6sqft.com

Rebecca Moores, ex-wife of former Padres owner John Moores, has purchased a Manhattan condo for $55.5 million, according to New York real estate publications 6sqft.com and the realdeal.com.

Floor plan

Floor plan

She will have a full floor unit with four bedrooms and five and a half bathrooms in the One57 building, with unobstructed views of Central Park and Midtown Manhattan. Her unit measures 6240 square feet, with 580 square feet of outdoor space. The official buyer was the Rebecca Ann Moores Family Trust.

It is the second most expensive condo purchase of the year. Hedge-fund billionaire Bill Ackman shelled out $90 million for a unit in the same building, which was designed by French architect Christian de Portzanparc. One57 is the city's most expensive building.

(corrected 12/9, 12:30 p.m.)

Comments

aardvark Dec. 9, 2014 @ 10:52 a.m.

$90 BILLION? Typo, perhaps? $90 billion seems a little high--even for the New York market.

MichaelValentine Dec. 9, 2014 @ 12:50 p.m.

It would be high. The story says 90 million though and that's too high to.

aardvark Dec. 9, 2014 @ 1:43 p.m.

It was corrected--it originally said 90 billion.

Don Bauder Dec. 9, 2014 @ 3:23 p.m.

MichaelValentine: Yes, $90 million for a condo seems high. Keep in mind, though, that Forbes magazine says Ackman is worth $1.69 billion, so $90 million is just pocket change for him. Also, some in the New York real estate industry expect Ackman to flip the property. Best, Don Bauder

danfogel Dec. 9, 2014 @ 5:48 p.m.

I read in the WSJ last year that Ackman bought one on the 75th and 76th floors, about 14K square feet. The is another one, which occupies the 89th and 90th floors, that sold for $95million. The article said that Ackman doesn’t intend to move into the apartment, that it was a "strategic purchase as an investment".

Visduh Dec. 9, 2014 @ 6:50 p.m.

If he holds it as an investment, it should be rented. What sort of monthly rate does a condo of that size and value command? I'd have to guess it is north of $100K per month. And the security deposit would be a letter of credit in the amount of a million or two. Boggles the mind, doesn't it?

Don Bauder Dec. 9, 2014 @ 8:32 p.m.

Visduh: And just think: when the Moores couple put their Del Mar house on the market for $23 million, it was big news in San Diego. Chump change. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Dec. 9, 2014 @ 8:30 p.m.

danfogel: Yes, the New York real estate press uses the word "flip" in describing the reason for the Ackman purchase. Best, Don Bauder

danfogel Dec. 10, 2014 @ 7:43 a.m.

don bauder Reminds me of when 15CPW opened a few yrs ago. Somebody paid about $40 million for one of the penthouses, which as I recall was the most every paid in Manhattan at the time, and resold it a couple of years later for $88 million. Jeff Gordon dropped a cool $9 million for one and sold it last year for $25 million. I read that the HOA’s at one57 are around $1.60 per sq ft for the top 9 floors, so you can do the math. But who cares about HOA's. If you can afford to sit on a $90 million flip, which btw, Ackman says will not be leased out, you can afford the HOA's. As a plus, this place qualifies for a property tax exemption for 10 yrs. If I remember correctly, it was NO property tax for 2 yrs and then 20% of normal tax rate added every 2 yrs, two years of full exemption, then two years of 80% tax exemption, then two years of 60% tax exemption etc. I’m sure that had something to do with Ackman’s purchase. Ahh, the lives of the rich and shameless.

Don Bauder Dec. 10, 2014 @ 4:06 p.m.

danfogel: Watching the upper one-tenth of 1% buy Manhattan condos should be enough to drive hundreds of thousands of people to the Occupy movement. But it won't. Police brutality the last time probably shut off that avenue of protest. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Dec. 9, 2014 @ 3:17 p.m.

aardvark: Yes, this item originally said $90 billion, not $90 million, and I take responsibility for that error. Thanks to your giving us notice, it was quickly corrected. Best, Don Bauder

aardvark Dec. 9, 2014 @ 4:26 p.m.

Don: It just proves that people read every word of your articles.

Don Bauder Dec. 9, 2014 @ 8:34 p.m.

aardvark: I have to be more careful. At age 78, sometimes I can carefully read over one of my blog items and miss the egregious mistake. Best, Don Bauder

escomaniac Dec. 9, 2014 @ 9:45 p.m.

Don; I have no problem with the rare typo as long as you keep on reporting the issues no one else seems to want to touch, keep up the great work.

Don Bauder Dec. 10, 2014 @ 6:27 a.m.

escomaniac: That's what the Reader does: it covers what the other media are afraid to touch, or ignore for some other reason. I am just one of the Reader writers doing this. Best, Don Bauder

escomaniac Dec. 9, 2014 @ 9:40 p.m.

I shudder to think what the monthly HOA fees are.

Don Bauder Dec. 10, 2014 @ 6:31 a.m.

escomaniac: Yes, those fees are no doubt a pretty penny. But John Moores dumped more than $600 million of Peregrine stock before it collapsed, and -- typical of San Diego justice -- barely got touched while others went to prison, although he had been board chairman and essentially had run the company. He had paid almost nothing for the stock. Some of that money is going into his ex-wife's HOA fees, probably. Best, Don Bauder

AlexClarke Dec. 10, 2014 @ 6:32 a.m.

Poor baby has to live in NY City. Oh what will she do? Seems to me that rich guys or those who aspire to wealth should skip the married part.

Don Bauder Dec. 10, 2014 @ 4:12 p.m.

AlexClarke: That was my thought. Why would anyone want to live in Manhattan? I would prefer San Diego and many other places. Of course, she is loaded with money, and if she is a culture vulture, would enjoy going to the Met, Philharmonic, all the art museums, etc. Best, Don Bauder

Visduh Dec. 10, 2014 @ 5:43 p.m.

Don't you guys know that NYC is the "most glamorous" city in the world? So sayeth the culture vultures of the fashion and glam mags. And who made it that way? None other than the four Sex and the City dolls. No, if you have bucks there and are willing to spend them, it is Ground Zero for the good life if you want to hob-nob with a bunch of others who have too much money for their own good. Didn't Jackie O live out her years in Manhattan? Then there was the example of Huguette Clark, the heiress to a fortune made in the West, who lived there for decades before she died at 106 a few years ago. Diffr'nt strokes for diffr'nt folks.

Don Bauder Dec. 11, 2014 @ 7:09 a.m.

Visduh: When I was on Business Week, 1964-1973, I lived in fear of being "promoted" to the New York headquarters. Thank goodness, it never happened, and I got out without having to live there. I did come to NY with some frequency, and enjoyed walking around with the knowledge that I would soon be going home.

New York can be a wonderful place to visit, though. I remember one time my wife was meeting friends on Long Island. I got a tiny hotel room on Manhattan and spent three glorious days going through the Met, Frick, Whitney, MOMA, Jewish Museum, Guggenheim, etc. Each night, I got a Reuben or pastrami and Swiss sandwich at a deli two blocks away, and ate in my room. As I recall, I had a pass to get into the art museums; I remember I spent part of each day at the Met and still didn't see everything I wanted to see. Best, Don Bauder

Let’s Be Friends

Subscribe for local event alerts, concerts tickets, promotions and more from the San Diego Reader