On Wednesday, May 5 I went to the Subway Sandwich shop on Midway Drive. As soon as I entered the store, I knew something was wrong. There was no one working and a bag of potato chips was on the floor. The bread ovens were left ajar, and a half-made sandwich was on the counter. I called out, "Hello, is anyone there?"

I ran back to Money Tree, where I had been, and asked the manager to call the store - no answer! We went back to the store and still no one there. The manager grabbed a piece of napkin to protect from disturbing evidence and proceeded towards the back. I yelled at him, "Open the freezer door" and out popped two cold, wide-eyed women! They immediately went to open the cooler door and there was the manager and another employee.

The police arrived almost immediately. Two black men wearing do-rags on their head remain suspects in the 8:00 a.m. robbery.


Jay Allen Sanford May 8, 2010 @ 7:46 p.m.

Holy BMT, that happened to ME at the Subway near 63rd and El Cajon! That was San Diego's first Subway, opened in 1982 by a couple of guys who quickly expanded to Mission Gorge and then all over the city - I worked the night shift in summer 1983.

I was actually on the phone talking to one of the owners when a guy walked in wearing a ski mask and pulling a sawed off shotgun from under his coat. He pointed it at me and said "Time to hang up" - I said "I need to go now" and hung up.

After emptying the register, the guy was demanding I open the floor safe, but I wasn't lying when I said I didn't have the combination. He kept screaming "Is it worth your life!?!" A friend of mine had just been pistol whipped working the night shift at a gas station, so I figured I was at least in for some pain.

But, praise whatever gawd watches over underemployed fools like me, the guy locked me in the walk-in freezer instead. Tho there WAS a push-latch inside the freezer door to open it from within, the guy jammed a roll of paper towels into the outside door latch, so I was locked in.

I was already contemplating which sandwich meat would be easiest to thaw in my mouth in case I was in there all night when my boss opened up the door and let me out - after he'd hung up, he had a weird vibe about the way I ended the call so abruptly. When nobody was answering the phone, he came down to checkitout.

Lesson learned? Work at home --- it's not safe out there!


CuddleFish May 9, 2010 @ 12:06 a.m.

On one of my posts or threads or whatever, I mentioned that a while back I worked at a Navy base at the Uniform Shop. One morning I arrived, early as usual, and met up with one of the other girls at the Mess and we finished up a cup of coffee before walking to the building where the shop was located. When we got there, we noticed that the building's back door was open and when we went in, the place was strangely empty and quiet; a Fed suddenly came out into the hallway and gave us that kind of grin that told us something bad was happening.

The place had been robbed. The assistant manager had been inside opening the place when two black men with a shotgun forced themselves into the shop and took the money bags that we used to open the cash registers. In the course of the robbery, they had fired the shotgun into the ceiling; we looked up and saw the hole ripped in the acoustic tiles. The assistant manager was telling us about it as the Feds were looking around doing their investigation; she was calm but I could tell she had been frightened and I was nearly in tears for her, what she had been through. We were all sent home.

It was the last day she ever worked there, after more than twenty years in that shop: they transferred her to the Exchange but she couldn't handle dealing with the public anymore. When black men came into the store she would start to shake and sweat. It got to the point where she couldn't walk in the door. She took disability and never came back.


Sign in to comment

Win a $25 Gift Card to
The Broken Yolk Cafe

Join our newsletter list

Each newsletter subscription means another chance to win!