Fire at 10th & Broadway
  • Story alerts
  • Letter to Editor
  • Pin it

On January 30 at around 3:30 p.m., a fire blazed through a second-floor apartment in the Sharp Senior Home on Tenth and Broadway. First on the scene was Cojack, the maintenance/manager of the building who said, "The alarm rang, then the sprinklers turned on. I opened the door and saw that the sprinklers had put the fire out, so I turned off the sprinklers. The daughter and the son-in-law of the woman who lives here left a cigarette burning before they left. It fell on the carpet and damn near burned down the whole building."

The firemen on the scene confirmed that the sprinkler system put out the fire, but unfortunately for the Broadway Deli and Chee Chee's (on the first floor of the building), the sprinklers caused some water damage. Cojack said almost all of the first-floor apartments suffered water damage as well. Five fire trucks arrived on the scene, along with the battalion chief and three police cars. Broadway was blocked off between Ninth and Tenth for almost two and a half hours. No injuries were reported.

  • Story alerts
  • Letter to Editor
  • Pin it

More from around the web


ARMYMAN Feb. 7, 2009 @ 12:07 p.m.

What was the reason for this bit of news, was it to let people know that the Chee Chee Club would not be open for a few days ? No big deal.


Sign in to comment

Win a $25 Gift Card to
The Broken Yolk Cafe

Join our newsletter list

Each newsletter subscription means another chance to win!