Eric Beard's musician credits stretch back some 20 years, though it's his recording degree from Chico State that allows for some of the bigger technological leaps in his stage act as Angerhead, the one-man metal band. "First of all, I never was a singer, and some people probably would say I'm still not," he laughs. "But singing and playing guitar at the same time is still a challenge. Also, I play video behind me along with bass parts I record and drums that I program, so synching everything up is definitely the most trying and challenging thing."
Beard began playing piano at age eight. "But as soon as I heard the first three chords of AC/DC's 'Highway to Hell,' I said to myself, 'You can't do that on a piano,' and I went and bought an electric guitar for $125." He calls Angerhead's music "a blend of rock and metal. I like to keep things intense and heavy. All my songs must have this quality."
WHAT'S IN YOUR CD PLAYER?
1. Unwritten Law, "The Black album" ("There's something really catchy and heavy about this record. Very good songwriting.")
2. Megadeth, Greatest Hits: Back to the Start ("I would have to say Dave Mustaine is one of my favorite metal songwriters of all time. I love this stuff.")
3. Dr. Chunk, Dr. Chunk ("I wrote this record with some friends, and I haven't heard it in two years until a week ago. Now I've been listening to it a lot.")
1. Slayer, Reign in Blood ("One of the best metal albums of all time.")
2. Megadeth, Rust in Piece ("Another of the best.")
3. Pink Floyd, The Division Bell ("Just a beautiful record.")
4. "The best of Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, or Menudo would fight it out for the last spot."
"In San Marcos at the Longshot Saloon -- I was so pissed and stressed. I had just got back from Vegas, and nothing was going right. Guitars sucked, video wouldn't work, amps sucked, just awful...I guess I lived up to the name Angerhead that night."
BRUSH WITH THE FAMOUS?
"I hung with James Hetfield and Jason Newstead of Metallica back in the day. Jason had just been asked to join Metallica, and he was really cool. He let us take pictures and was buying us beers all night."
"Pink Floyd cartoons are amazing. You feel like you're taking LSD or something just watching that stuff."
SOMETHING ABOUT YOU FEW WOULD KNOW OR GUESS?
"I fix and sell dental equipment as a real job. I've also done studio work with Dr. Dre."