How would singer/songwriter Colin Clyne describe his music? "Imagine the love child of Mike Myers's Fat Bastard and Neil Young."
Originally from Stonehaven, Scotland, and raised in the U.K., Clyne frequently takes jobs aboard fishing boats traveling to Europe, west Africa, and even the Arctic Circle. "My last album, Songs from the Cold Store, was inspired by the refrigerated-food store on one of the ships I work on. This was the only place I could play and sing loud without waking the night-shift workers on the ship. Imagine the cook's first impression when he came into the store to find me wrapped up in a big jacket, notepad and guitar in hand! Once I had played him some Beatles songs and helped him with the frozen steaks, I had the deal for my practice room all sewn up."
WHAT'S IN YOUR CD PLAYER?
1. Oasis, Definitely Maybe ("I drank, partied, loved, cried, fought, played pool, and dreamt of a better life to this album.")
2. The Stone Roses, self-titled ("Spangled guitars and fantastic melodies which brought the '80s and '90s into a crash collision.")
3. R.E.M, Out of Time ("I was in high school, and I bought this from a guy who I think stole it from his older brother.")
4. The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band ("Almost 40 years later and people are still trying to re-create this.")
5. Wolfmother, self-titled ("Unashamedly brilliant stuff, showing all their influences.")
DESERT ISLAND DVDs?
1. Highlander ("Although I'm still scratching my head over why a Scotsman plays an Egyptian and a Frenchman plays a Scotsman.")
2. The Godfather ("Great book, great film.")
3. Rocky III ("Mr. T and Hulk Hogan in the same film clinches it for me.")
4. The Matrix ("Genius idea, with great leather jackets and cool shades.")
5. Trainspotting ("Whenever my lady and I get homesick, we watch a British film.")
HAD A SUPERNATURAL ENCOUNTER?
"We stayed at a hotel in New Orleans that was reputed to be the most haunted in the town. We were cynical at first, but then we were awoken by our toilet gurgling, and then it exploded with a jet of water shooting out of it! Perhaps trapped air...?"
FAVORITE TV SHOWS?
1. The Tonight Show with Jay Leno ("I think he's funny, and I like the band.")
2. My Name Is Earl ("Great idea.")
3. Friends ("Witty and easy viewing.")
4. Black Adder ("Very funny British comedy.")
5. Chewin' the Fat ("Scottish comedy, with accents so thick that subtitles are a must.")
"I played in my hometown in Scotland a few years ago and got dragged into a heckling match with some drunk, middle-aged woman who demanded we play ABBA. I backed down, and we played the closest thing we had to that -- AC/DC."
FAVORITE LOCAL EATERY?
"Pizza Port [Solana Beach, Carlsbad], where you make your own pizza, and they serve local beer."
BIGGEST POLITICAL CONCERN?
"California needs to sort out public transport and get people walking when they can. It astonishes me at times."
FINISH THIS SENTENCE: "IF THEY MADE A MOVIE OF MY LIFE...
"...I'd have some serious explaining to do."
SOMETHING ABOUT YOU FEW WOULD KNOW OR GUESS?
"When I was 19, and drunk, I got a Superman tattoo after seeing one on a poster of Bon Jovi."