Jay Allen Sanford 11 a.m., July 11
RIYL: The Alabama Shakes, the Black Keys, Gary Clarke Jr., Jack White, James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, Marvin Gaye, Led Zeppelin, Little Richard, Ray Charles, Tito Puente, Fela Kuti, ?uestlove, the Beatles, D'angelo, Alabama Shakes, Monophonics, Orgone
Upcoming Local Shows
- Belly Up Tavern — Sunday, September 15, 7:30pm
- Waterfront venues including Seaport Village, Broadway Pier, Bayfront Park, Embarcadero Marina Park — Friday, November 22, 12pm
- Waterfront venues including Seaport Village, Broadway Pier, Bayfront Park, Embarcadero Marina Park — Saturday, November 23, 12pm
- Waterfront venues including Seaport Village, Broadway Pier, Bayfront Park, Embarcadero Marina Park — Sunday, November 24, 12pm
- "Between Genres" · June 7, 2017
Inception: San Diego, 2013
Influences: Fela Kuti, Fidel Bateke, Otis Redding, Wilson Pickett, James Brown, Prince, Led Zeppelin, the Tuneyards, The Dirty Projectors, Kendrick Lamar, D'angelo, Jimi Hendrix, Parliament-Funkadelic, David Bowie
Based in Barrio Logan, funky soul rockers the Routine formed in the spring of 2013 when local stage actor Bryan Barbarin decided he wanted to move away from theater and start playing music. Joining childhood friend and local guitar teacher Russell Ramo, they leaped from playing acoustic covers in dive bars and restaurants to forming an original five-piece band with bassist Nick Hein, drummer Dave Butterfield, and percussion player Eduardo Canelon.
Within two months of forming, they spent one day at Iacon Sound Studios and recorded their five-song Rhinoceros EP with no overdubs or edits. In 2016, the band helped launch the recurring Funk Soul Social at the Holding Company in Ocean Beach.