Content for Wednesday, August 15, 2012
- Guaca: Meet Mole
- Fresh Sound on John Cage's 100th Birthday
- No Air in North Park, Stand in Someone Else's Doorway
- Liquid Blue Battles Bikers at Sturgis, Playing Democratic Nat'l Convention
- Comic Book School Opening Party 8/31
- Chamoy in Chula Vista
- Top Competition level instruction for riders who may not be interested in competing
- Romanian Drug Trafficker Apprehended in Calexico
- Sheriff: Encinitas Woman Walking Dog was Accosted
- Planning Commissioner and U-T San Diego Columnist Admits Income Disclosure Violations
- RIP Famous Former Neighbor Harry Harrison, Sci-Fi Author (Soylent Green, etc)
- Casino Scammers All Made Plea Deals
- Zappa's Grandmothers of Invention Playing Anthology Friday, Aug. 17
- Does the Musical Version of Nutty Professor Really Need Hamlisch's Score?
- San Diego Mayor's Wife, Top Aide, and Irwin Jacobs Give Big to Barack Obama
- Judge Orders Persistent Shoplifter Held
- Coming Soon (Finally!): The San Diego Public Market
- Your Week: August 16-22
- Tin Fish: Still the Best Deal, Post-Comic-Con
- Survey Says 24% of Voters Switch Mayoral Allegiance After Balboa Park Water Fight
- Coronado Brewing New Beer Notes & New Brewery Photos
- Free Summer Kids' Lunches: One Week Left
- Over Half of Baja’s Police Yet to be Evaluated
- Electric Rate Reductions Sought Over San Onofre Closure
- Locker Room Talk May Get Her Job — but Not With Padres
News & Stories
Larry Hoagland never really believed in divorce.
How did Larry Hoagland manage to blow up his wife while he ran a business, raised children, and juggled a girlfriend? Oh, yeah. He didn’t. After many surgeries, she testified against him.
With guns drawn and bearing a search warrant, a task force of law-enforcement officials knocked on the door of a West Point Loma Boulevard apartment on the morning of August 15. Taken into custody at ...
Kadan to close after ten years in Normal Heights; here come the Neighborhood (gastropub) people to take over the space.
“Do you know who Terry Callier is?” Steve Kader pulls an album from a stack in a wood produce crate and runs down the list of first-call session players in the credits. “Callier’s like Richie ...
“You won’t believe all that sound is coming from two people!” People always say that about rock duos — and there are a lot of rock duos these days. But the truth is, you usually ...
It’s Dumb, It’s Journalism RE: “Afro Puffs,” July 12. Hey, all of you indignant, letter-to-the-editor-writing black girls: Printing someone’s stupid, wrong opinion about nobody liking black girls isn’t racism; it’s journalism. Probably no one took ...
Fond Comic-Con memories and a cod-taco plate at Tin Fish Gaslamp.
“First time I came here, the streets were for sailors and streetwalkers.”
The late barroom balladeer Jim Croce penned “Lover’s Cross” as a bittersweet break-up song, and perhaps there’s a bit of that to the drink which the song inspired at Croce’s Jazz Bar and Grill, the ...
If one bar is good, then two must be great, right? Drinking at JSix means getting to choose between the lofty heights of LOUNGESix or the street-level swank of the restaurant bar. Located in the ...
Thursday 16Rough Trade roots rockers Alabama Shakes rattles and rolls into House of Blues behind this year’s crit hit Boys & Girls. The four-piece, based in Athens, Alabama, infuses Southern rock with an honest take ...
When punks do folk music: Fat Opie is Scott Mickelson, Robin Hildebrant, and Dave Tavel, and punk-folk, if that’s even possible, is how they sound. And by that I mean not just a punk band ...
Walk among Torrey pine trees through coastal sage scrub and chaparral plants.
Nobody called it indie rock in the 1980s. You played original rock, and your band either had a record deal or it didn’t. And back in the days before digital technology, the foundation of a ...
“We just won a huge battle of the bands called ‘Gimme the Gig,’” says soulful world-rocker Hargo, whose self-named band scored a music video and recording session with celeb producer Don Was as part of ...
Chad Farran releases Surfari Sessions Volume 2, music he wrote for Fuel TV show On Surfari.
When I saw Ridley Scott’s film Prometheus, I was reminded that our best filmmakers are now nearly sole proprietors of the visionary mood. Scott’s movie, with its spectral holographic conjurings of mythic ancestors spiraling through ...
Mexico's president-elect may not look like he's got problems, but he does.
When the Field of Dreams gets cut short, there’s always the San Diego–Barona Stars.
Mariana siempre quiso casarse en la Catedral Metropolitana de la Ciudad de México. Cuando el momento llegó decidió cumplir su sueño: su ceremonia se llevaría a cabo en el histórico recinto frente al Zócalo, la ...
Terri looked statuesque in a strapless gown made of glittery, sapphire-blue fabric. Katie was a pixie vixen in her black-and-silver-sequined tunic. One might have thought they were on their way to some fancy fundraiser gala ...
Two female pedestrians were struck by a car and injured in a crosswalk at the intersection of Ninth Avenue and E Street at approximately 5:30 p.m. on August 13. The victims, believed to have been ...
Will legislators allow America to drive off the edge of a cliff? Two San Diego political scientists say no.
Downtown super-lobbyist Paul Robinson had a solid second quarter, according to a disclosure statement filed last week by his law and lobbying firm, Hecht Solberg Robinson Goldberg and Bagley. His top client, the Grand Del ...
San Diego’s own Sempra Energy may have had its hands full this spring dealing with the shutdown of the troubled San Onofre nuclear power plant it owns a piece of, but that didn’t keep Sacramento ...
Tuition is going through the roof, and local community college enrollees have been barred from mid-year transfers, but California taxpayer-supported San Diego State University is spending real money to attract one special category of new ...
The Oatmeal and FunnyJunk do battle, involving lawyers and other unfunny junk.
Odds Bodkins! Fog surrounds Ghost Mountain.
Title: Desert Wind Graphics Address: desertwindgraphics.com Author: Sam Hallmark From: Poway Blogging since: April 2012 Post Title: Suicide Trip – 2012 Post Date: July 19, 2012 I belong to an exclusive group of gentlemen, “The ...
“The Heaven Questions” In the beginning of old, all is yet formless, no up or down, Light is still dim, dark is a blur; the only image is a whir. When bright gets brighter, and ...