Content for Wednesday, August 22, 2012
- Season Preview: No. 9 Valley Center Jaguars
- Fiscal Cliff Could Hit San Diego Hard
- Heure Heureuse comes to Tenth Ave
- Will the Real Jeffrey Dean Morgan Please Stand Up?
- Headley's Heroics Hammers Helpless Pirates
- Communal nibbling in the presence of wine
- Stratfor emails suggest the U.S. negotiated Sinaloa and AFO truce
- New killer whale at Sea World has shown aggression toward trainers
- Doo Doo Roo and The Best Coitus Jam of All Time
- Update San Diego 8-22 12
- Shia LaBeouf learns the true meaning of fear.
- Democratic political committees outspending GOP counterparts in TV ad buys in race for 52nd Congressional District
- Lincoln one-sheet: Daniel Day-Lewis takes on his greatest challenge yet.
- The Inquisitive Tongue: Nanette Wiser's Good Dish
- Special guest columnist: La Jolla society matron weighs in on Prop. 30.
- Rosarito Tourism Commission says US alert on Mexico travel is all a ploy
- Liquor store customers assist in preventing robbery
- San Diego Wants to Extend Red Light Camera Ticketing, Bid Document Reveals
- Robbiebear's In Love!
- Be A Jerk At Pacific Beach Bar & Grill
- Best of summer: 3 digestibles
- Midnight Madness presents Indiana Jones
- Lawsuits loom if Prop 37 passes, say opponents of labeling genetically modified foods
- Balboa Park Street Style: Artists, Actors, and Performers
- Intergalactic Brewing Company
- Your Week: August 23-29
- Sprague Plays Metheny: Aug. 23 @ Tango Del Rey
- Open Boundaries and Use of Mello Roos in the Sweetwater Union High School District
- New hotel plans presented for Lane Field site
- LL Cool J Gets In Too Deep With Home Invader
- Late Nite, Hot Food, Cool Place
News & Stories
“Californians drink wine by itself, like a cocktail. In France, we drink it always with food.”
Interview with Ingrid Croce, former wife of Jim.
Enjoyed Jeff I thoroughly enjoyed Jeff Smith’s eight-part series, “The Big Noise: The Free Speech Fight of 1912.” This appalling segment of San Diego history is not often talked about nor written about in our ...
The alternate, less crowded trail up Iron Mountain.
The Marsalis brother they don’t much talk about is Jason. Wynton Marsalis, 51, once considered the savior of all jazz has gotten celebrity ink to the point that he trips my odious meter. Branford, 52, ...
The NFL institutes disciplinary coursework for fans who get ejected from games.
Lacey J’s, Santee’s country-music mainstay, closes its doors.
“The best thing about performing for kids is how much pure joy we see on a daily basis,” says Steve Denyes of children’s music duo Hullabaloo. “Kids are so free and uninhibited, they just dance ...
Speaking of Ron Fowler, the voluble Del Mar resident spent a total of $35,224 on campaign contributions during the first half of this year, according to a major donor statement filed with the California secretary ...
“Gelato is like tacos — it’s street food, not high-end fare.”
I spend a lot of time online. Okay, more than a lot. The point is, I get around the interwebz. Though I’ve long considered “web surfing” my primary hobby, it wasn’t until I discovered Reddit ...
One of the best features of An Iliad is how contemporary references function like Homer’s similes.
Thursday 23Eighties new-wave staples Flock of Seagulls land at 4th&B Thursday night. Though the band name has become the butt of many a pop-culture joke — Mike Score’s trademark coif the hairpiece of that joke ...
It was fun and food in the Gaslamp Quarter at Lou & Mickey’s restaurant and bar for Republican state senator Anthony Cannella and his scheduler Jamie Mori and chief of staff Dillon Gibbons, thanks to ...
San Diego’s School of Rock finishes their summer tour.
Heymatt: A one-ounce box of raisins has about 110 raisins and costs about 25 cents. 110 fresh grapes costs about 98 cents. Since raisins take much more processing to convert them from grapes, which are ...
I often hear Three Mile Pilot described as influential, but it’s hard to say what that means. Since their ’90s heyday as a pillar of San Diego’s indie-rock reputation, nothing has sounded quite like the ...
Sweetwater Union High School District bought iPads for all their seventh graders. Besides not measuring educational success from the computers’ use, there is no plan as to how to pay for them.
The dark side of mathematicians getting interested in finance.
A few SDSU sports honchos were included on a courtesy flight from Alaska Airlines.
Certain churches draw people in by way of entertainment. Interview with Pastor John Leeder of Pacific Hope Church.
Name: Dan Brozo Car: 2001 Buick Century Previous cars: 1991 BMW 525i How’s your commute? Clairemont to Sorrento Valley. Cheapest gas? I end up going to Shell more often than an Arco directly across the ...
I was so startled, summers afterward, to still carry vividly in memory that scalding afternoon when, impatient to finish, I wheeled the push-mower over a parcel of warted flesh, flung back under the clattering, grass-flecked ...
Flo Abena, Rancho Penasquitos, 1. Jerry Anders, Scripps Ranch, 1. Lana Andrews, La Mesa, 1. Mark Arnold, Rancho Penasquitos, 1. * Martha Awdziewicz, Clairemont, 1. It's now time to go back to school. Please don't ...