Jimi Olsen 1:30 p.m., Jan. 25
Liquor store customers assist in preventing robbery
Twenty-four year-old Javier Santos was surprised by a show of force from the cashier and patrons of Mr. A’s Liquor in Vista, which he tried to rob yesterday afternoon, according to a release from Sgt. Hernan Gonzalez of the San Diego Sheriff's Department.
Shortly after noon, Santos strolled into the liquor store, picked up a case of beer, and walked toward the exit, bypassing the cash register. Store employee Khoi Do quickly grabbed Santos and attempted to pin his shoulders. During the ensuing struggle, Santos reportedly attempted to get hold of a large knife he’d concealed beneath his clothing, but two customers came to Do’s assistance and disarmed Santos.
The suspect was held down until San Diego Sheriff’s deputies arrived and transported him to the Vista Detention Facility. No injuries were reported as a result of the crime.
More like this:
- Spring Valley hatchet attack committed by fugitive — April 14, 2014
- Eight arrested in Vista minor decoy tobacco operations — April 15, 2013
- Failed liquor store robbery involving submachine gun — Oct. 22, 2012
- Ten Nabbed for Providing Alcohol to Minors — Feb. 27, 2012
- Real and Fake Guns Used in Robbery-Shooting Case — March 25, 2008