Due to her ability to pull on my heart strings, "Giselle" gets a Runner-Up No-Prize for the day. This is a great example of how to sell: make it personal and seemingly urgent that you "MUST get rid of" your furniture. Well played, Giselle, my hat is off to you, a born saleswoman.

And it turns out I'm going to (yet again) bend the rules of my oh-so-rigid format in handing over the big winner for the day. Instead of the usual single victorious advert, I shall give you four (4) ads in the First Ever Quatrapartite Best Of Craigslist Daily Selection! Je vous presente:

Nintendo Gamecube - $20 (Normal Heights)

Sega Genesis & Sonic 2! - $25 (Normal Heights)

NES & 12 games - $50 (Normal Heights)

Atari 2600 + 10 games - $50 (Normal Heights)

The geeky little Star Wars loving nerdboy in my cries--screams!--in joy and anticipation at the prospect of firing up that Sega, NES, or (gulp!) Atari (!!) and hacking, slashing, runjumpkicking and punching my way through hours and hours of pixelated, 8-bit, memory laden glory. Thrilled by the "beep beep, boop boop" of the pre-MIDI soundtracks and overjoyed by the simplicity of a controller with only two (2) buttons (Jump and Kick, or should I say, "all you really need to PWN!), I can see myself easily swirling into the depths of Nostalgia Gaming.

"No, Sonic, be careful, you'll lose all your rings!"

"Damn you, Duckhunt Dog! Is it not enough that I'm an inferior marksman? why must you mock me so?"

"Quickly, Dig Dug, quickly. Dig! Your life depends upon it! Dig, DIG, DIIIIIIIIIIIG!"

Pike shudders

Do you see how I'm working backwards? Chronologically tracing the history of digital fun? Fun I thought was lost but, it turns out, is readily available to me in my own neighborhood. Do you see how I'm taking us, all of us, back to a time when things were simpler, when blue hedgehogs, moustachio'd plumbers, and shapeless entities with a penchant for tunneling represented the height of programming and the limitless promise of a bright future where games like Halo and Grand Theft Auto really and truly matter, sometimes more than material life, to certain people?

Do you see, then, why I wouldn't want to buy these games? Why, delighted as I would be by the limitless minutes of fun to be had, I would only be reminded that the disposable enjoyment of video games goes from cutting edge to reliquary with shocking velocity--do you see it?

Do you see how I included the Gamecube in there as a sort of perspective device? You notice how the newer, faster tech is of less worth than the older stuff, covered as it is by the fine patina of nostalgia? Do you think, like I think, that looking at those four systems is weirdly ironic? That they illuminate the way they dig each others' graves, lining up in turn to scramble and fight their respective ways towards obsolescence?

Are you with me while I draw this line around the fun we might have had? Can you see that I'm trying to draw that line; that line between fun and sorrow, laughs and tears, experiences and things that were experiences but are now just things?

Do you?

Comments

PistolPete Oct. 12, 2009 @ 10:05 p.m.

Too bad he doesn't have a working Commodore Vic 20...

David Dodd Oct. 12, 2009 @ 11:10 p.m.

What in the hell is a "modern" entertainment center? Is that supposed to replace my Victorian-era entertainment center?

FullFlavorPike Oct. 13, 2009 @ 2:32 a.m.

Yup. No more daguerreotypes for you, gringo!

headcomic Oct. 13, 2009 @ 5:43 a.m.

Dig up the graves! Shoot clay pigeon pixels! Look on the bright side - when we were but young lads dreaming of the ability to afford game systems they were WAY too expensive for us to own. Now we can pretend to be rolling in it big buy buying these relic dirt cheap - and guess what? The systems still work as well as they once have!

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis - When I was dead broke, man I couldn't picture this!"

So lets wax nostalgic and pretend its 1994 - and who cares? As long as it only costs $20. Ironically* we still can't afford the new game systems.

*Alanis made it so I never know if I use the word right. It sounded good and my head, but I thought a disclaimer might be nice.

headcomic Oct. 13, 2009 @ 5:47 a.m.

As sick as that post looks in retro html - I will make Pike show me how to post correctly.

FullFlavorPike Oct. 13, 2009 @ 12:31 p.m.

That looks way rad with your ineffectual HTML tags showing. Don't sweat it. Thanks for the commentary, home slice.

SDaniels Oct. 14, 2009 @ 3:20 p.m.

A few years ago, a heavily synthesized song came out called "Kelly Can you Touch the Stars," the video of which references a Japanese ping pong tournament (and by extension, a Japanese enthusiasm for all things retro)--and the videogame Pong. I can't believe I sat at the rich neighbor kid's house sipping on Capri Suns, and blip/blop/blip/blop... coveting her spectacular Atari...

FullFlavorPike Oct. 14, 2009 @ 4:48 p.m.

I loves me some Air. "Moon Safari" is a truly epic record.

antigeekess Oct. 14, 2009 @ 6:05 p.m.

Re #8:

russl! Unbelievably, I was unaware of the MTV site. Just never went looking for it. Thanks!

Barbarella posted a piece about attending a 9/11 memorial. So this video was on my mind:

What a great music video archive to draw from. Just awesome.

SDaniels Oct. 16, 2009 @ 2:37 a.m.

It is great! Can't believe I thought that song (really titled "Kelly, Watch the Stars") featured a Japanese ping pong tournament. Must have been channeling last Olympics?