Jay Allen Sanford 9 p.m., Oct. 22
Supercross sweeps effective in nabbing DUI drivers
The local AVOID DUI Task Force, administered by the San Diego Sheriff’s Department and, in this case, assisted by six other law enforcement agencies, rolled out with a heavy presence around Qualcomm Stadium following the conclusion of an AMA Supercross motorcycle racing tour stop Saturday night.
Focusing on specific events and singling out individual drivers for contact at first glance appears to be working better than other activities, such as establishing checkpoints where a very small percentage of drivers contacted are arrested.
Of 120 contact made, 20 resulted in field sobriety tests being administered, leading to six DUI arrests. Another individual was arrested in connection with the recovery of a stolen vehicle, and an eighth person faces charges for possession of marijuana for sale. A handful of other citations were issued, and a total of four vehicles were impounded following the races.
More like this:
- Two nights of DUI checkpoints net three drunk drivers — Aug. 19, 2013
- More weekend DUI stops in Poway, Santee — Aug. 12, 2013
- Busy weekend for DUI crackdowns — Aug. 27, 2012
- Weekend DUI/License Check Nets 2 Arrests, 11 Impounds — April 9, 2012
- Weekend DUI Checkpoint Nets No Arrests — March 21, 2012