Don Bauder 2:30 p.m., Sept. 1
Two Drunks Caught, Four Cars Seized in Latest DUI Checkpoint
The San Diego Sheriff’s Department continues in their attempt to crack down on drunk driving, with another checkpoint conducted over the weekend on the 1200 block of South Coast Highway 101 in Encinitas.
789 vehicles passed through the law enforcement roadblock between 8 p.m. and 1:30 a.m., 435 of which were contacted by deputies. Of those, 28 vehicles were sent to secondary inspection, resulting in nine field sobriety tests administered and two drivers arrested for driving under the influence.
Law enforcement officials did manage to issue 17 citations in total, and seized the vehicles of four drivers, presumably including those of the two drivers arrested for being intoxicated.
Overtime pay for the deputies involved was funded through a grant from the Office of Traffic Safety though the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
More like this:
- CHP snags 100 drunk drivers over Fourth weekend, checkpoints another three — July 8, 2013
- St. Patrick's weekend DUI checkpoints net two drunk drivers — March 18, 2013
- DUI Arrests Down, Few Caught at Checkpoints — May 29, 2012
- Weekend DUI/License Check Nets 2 Arrests, 11 Impounds — April 9, 2012
- DUI Checkpoints in Pacific Beach Result in High Arrest Count — Sept. 7, 2011