Don Bauder 8 p.m., Sept. 1
Two nights of DUI checkpoints net three drunk drivers
The San Diego Sheriff’s Department has announced the results of two more driver’s license/DUI checkpoints conducted over the weekend, and is already planning another.
On the 1400 block of East Vista Way in Vista, which deputies shut down from 7:30 p.m. Saturday night (August 17) until 2:00 a.m. the following morning, one of the three drivers examined for suspected drunken driving was arrested and charged with the crime. Deputies did manage to write a total of 22 other citations, half of them for driving without a license. A total of six cars were impounded as a result of the checkpoint, which saw a total of 1083 vehicles pass through, with 633 being stopped and another 450 allowed to pass without being contacted by a deputy.
Deputies had better luck along the 7900 block of Broadway in Lemon Grove on Friday night. Although only 476 vehicles passed through the checkpoint, authorities were able to stop every car and the DUI arrest count (2) was double that of the following day’s operation. Another 11 drivers were arrested for driving on a suspended license, and a total of 13 cars were impounded as a result of the stop.
The Department also says it will place a checkpoint somewhere in Poway from 7 p.m. to 3 a.m. beginning the night of Friday, August 30.
More like this:
- Imperial Beach checkpoint leads to two drunk driving arrests — May 20, 2013
- Weekend DUI/License Check Nets 2 Arrests, 11 Impounds — April 9, 2012
- DUI Checkpoints Result in 19 Arrests, 41 Impounds — Dec. 19, 2011
- DUI Checkpoints in Pacific Beach Result in High Arrest Count — Sept. 7, 2011
- DUI Checkpoint Nets Eight Vehicle Impounds, Zero DUIs — July 25, 2011