Corina Zaragoza 11:30 a.m., Sept. 1
CHP snags 100 drunk drivers over Fourth weekend, checkpoints another three
Results are beginning to come in from DUI/driver’s license checkpoints held around the county over the holiday weekend.
In Encinitas, authorities on Friday night (July 5/6) stopped 767 drivers on the 1800 block of South Coast Highway 101, arresting two on suspicion of drunk driving, impounding three vehicles, and issuing a total of 11 citations.
Another 970 drivers were stopped at a checkpoint staffed by seven deputies along the 900 block of Palm Avenue in Imperial Beach. One driver was arrested and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, though another six citations were issued. No vehicles were impounded at the checkpoint.
Results have not yet been released from other checkpoints around the county, but the California Highway Patrol reports 100 arrests in total were made over the long holiday weekend from 6 p.m. Wednesday through 6 a.m. Sunday morning. That’s up from 37 last year, though last year’s arrest total was based on a smaller time period.
More like this:
- DUI Arrests Down, Few Caught at Checkpoints — May 29, 2012
- Weekend DUI/License Check Nets 2 Arrests, 11 Impounds — April 9, 2012
- Weekend DUI Checkpoint Nets No Arrests — March 21, 2012
- DUI Checkpoints Result in 19 Arrests, 41 Impounds — Dec. 19, 2011
- DUI Checkpoints in Pacific Beach Result in High Arrest Count — Sept. 7, 2011