9 p.m., Sept. 28
Hate Crimes & DUIs in East County
The San Diego Sheriff’s office is reporting on a hate crime that occurred in Lemon Grove last Friday. After being cut off in traffic near Sweetwater Road and Broadway, a lone Hispanic male honked his horn in frustration.
Two Caucasian males jumped from a white Ford Ranger and proceeded to beat the man with fists and a pipe, shouting “Beaner, that’s the way we do it in Spring Valley!” They also shouted “White Power!” before fleeing.
The victim suffered a laceration to the back of the head and a large bump above an eye. No further information was available on the attackers.
In other news, the Santee substation reports that 689 vehicles were stopped at a DUI checkpoint over the weekend. 35 of those were sent into secondary inspection, where 8 field sobriety tests were given, resulting in 6 arrests. 11 others were cited, while the Sheriff’s Department impounded 7 vehicles.
More like this:
- Two nights of DUI checkpoints net three drunk drivers — Aug. 19, 2013
- More weekend DUI stops in Poway, Santee — Aug. 12, 2013
- Imperial Beach checkpoint leads to two drunk driving arrests — May 20, 2013
- Weekend DUI Checkpoint Nets No Arrests — March 21, 2012
- DUI Checkpoint Targets SDSU — Nov. 2, 2011