• News Ticker alerts

The San Diego County Avoid Task Force, comprised of local law enforcement agencies, conducted another DUI sweep over Halloween, this time focusing on the 5800 block of Montezuma Road, near San Diego State University.

2,049 vehicles passed through the checkpoint between 7 p.m. and 3 a.m., with 1,268 stopped for screening. Eight arrests were made related to drunk driving, with a ninth offender taken in on a previous DUI warrant. Overall 19 citations were issued, including two to drivers with suspended licenses and eight to unlicensed drivers.

Vehicle impounds were down, with the Sheriff’s Department reporting only 10 auto seizures, roughly correlating to the number of arrests. Law enforcement has come under fire from community groups around the county, particularly in the northern city of Escondido, for using the checkpoints as a means of raising revenue by impounding the vehicles of drivers cited for other offenses than driving under the influence. In response, the stops are now described as “driver’s license/DUI checkpoints,” and officers have frequently allowed a licensed, sober driver to remove the vehicle of a driver being cited, thus reducing impound rates.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

Ponzi Nov. 2, 2011 @ 8:44 a.m.

There is no such thing as a “driver’s license checkpoint.” That is a tactic the law enforcement community has added to the DUI checkpoint. Law enforcement is breaking the law with checkpoints in almost every facet of their original intent.

The Supreme Court ruled that DUI checkpoints were only to be permitted if the agencies conducting them gave ample warning, allowed drivers to bypass them and that they be used for removing unsafe intoxicated drivers.

I challenge anyone to find where the law permits police agencies to stop vehicles for the sole purpose of checking their license. I also challenge any law enforcement agency to provide evidence that they can legally go after a vehicle that has turned around to avoid a checkpoint.

A checkpoint is voluntary. You do not have to proceed through one. It is the police agencies and their MADD supporters who are violating the US constitution.

Do your research people. The police are breaking our laws everyday.

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 2, 2011 @ 10:05 a.m.

Ponzi is 100% correct on the right to skip out on, or turn around, from a check point.

I think he is also right on the check points NOT being legal and valid for anything other than a DUI check point. When that law was challeneged on constitutional grounds the Courts ruled that taking drunk drivers off the road was a legitimate act of the police powers for the public safety which out weighed against the harm of a search and seizure. It was NOT argued nor decided on chekcing to see of drivers were licensed or not.

I smell a lawsuit.

MrCheckpoint Nov. 2, 2011 @ 12:27 p.m.

I was wrongfully arrested, humiliated, and illegally searched at a Checkpoint in Gaslamp. I was victim to these rouge officers who think they can do whatever they want. I was just lucky enough to get it on film. I then posted on youtube and am in process of filing a complaint with the city about what had occurred that night. Check out the youtube video I posted to see what I am talking about .... sdsu dui checkpoint http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ7fqy...

-Sennett

<p>www.MrCheckpoint.com

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 2, 2011 @ 2:51 p.m.

I would have taken the trip to jail and the blood test (BTW-they cannot hold you for two days or util the blood results are in-who told you that lie??) and then when the results came back negative BAM!!!!!!!!!!!! Lawsuit central baby!

MrCheckpoint Nov. 2, 2011 @ 4:01 p.m.

Yeah, well what can you do. I really just wanted to get out of there. The thought of even being around the guys and heading to the station sounds like a nightmare. Some of these officers think they are the high-school bullies with no rules or repercussions... Hopefully my complaint and actions against this type of police conduct will at least calm down here in San Diego. Thanks for the support SurfPuppy619!

<p>www.MrCheckpoint.com

Visduh Nov. 3, 2011 @ 7:56 a.m.

I'll refrain from getting into all these legal notions, for I really don't know about all of it. But it is a simple matter to avoid a bad outcome at a checkpoint if a) you have a current drivers license on your person, b) are driving a currently registered vehicle, and c) most important, NOT be under the influence. With all the emphasis today on driving sober, it is not as if anyone is genuinely unaware of blood alcohol levels and the effect they have on driving skill. Just don't drink and drive.

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 3, 2011 @ 10:10 p.m.

I stopped drinking decades ago,and I am just thankful I never got popped with a DUI when I was a kid, or worse hurt someome.