Various Authors 8:04 p.m., July 1
St. Patrick's weekend DUI checkpoints net two drunk drivers
4,383 cars stopped, 47 non-DUI cites, 23 cars impounded
Area law enforcement coordinated another DUI crackdown over the weekend, posting “DUI/driver license checkpoints” throughout San Diego County in Encinitas, Imperial Beach, Lemon Grove and Poway, with additional Sheriff’s deputies patrolling Encinitas enforcing a zero tolerance policy on public intoxication.
Overall, 4,383 drivers passed through the checkpoints over the weekend, with 123 of them detained for secondary inspection. Of those, 18 were given field sobriety tests, and two people were arrested on suspicion of DUI, one each in Lemon Grove and Poway. 47 others were cited or arrested on non-DUI related charges, and 23 vehicles were impounded.
During the Encinitas sweeps, funded by a $100,000 California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control grant, 19 individuals were arrested on charges ranging from public drunkenness, possession of an open alcoholic beverage container, public urination, or possession of alcohol by a minor.
More like this:
- Two nights of DUI checkpoints net three drunk drivers — Aug. 19, 2013
- More weekend DUI stops in Poway, Santee — Aug. 12, 2013
- DUI Arrests Down, Few Caught at Checkpoints — May 29, 2012
- Weekend DUI Checkpoint Nets No Arrests — March 21, 2012
- DUI Checkpoints Result in 19 Arrests, 41 Impounds — Dec. 19, 2011