• News Ticker alerts

The San Diego Sheriff Department has released figures concerning four DUI checkpoints it conducted over the weekend in Santee, Lemon Grove, Vista, and San Marcos. While three of the operations were billed as focusing specifically on impaired drivers in separate press releases, the Lemon Grove stop was billed as a “DUI Sobriety/Driver License Checkpoint.”

A total of 2,430 drivers were stopped during the operations, with 12 drivers being arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Another seven drivers were arrested for other reasons, including six for driving on a suspended/revoked license and one for possession of a controlled substance. Deputies issued another 60 citations and impounded a total of 41 vehicles.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

Ponzi Dec. 19, 2011 @ 9:18 a.m.

"Drivers License Checkpoints" are not legal and will be challenged by the Supreme Court.

And violating the privacy rights of over 2,500 to weed out 12 DUI's ia waste of money and violates civil liberties.

SurfPuppy619 Dec. 19, 2011 @ 11:23 a.m.

DUI check points are legal per the SCOTUS-but I agree with Ponzi, they should be illegal, violating the 4th Amendments right to be free from unreasonable search and siezure except upon probable cause and a warrant.

This is the kind of law you get when far right wing (or far left wing) justices are put on the SCOTUS, whose ideology is light years different from athe average reasonable person.

Ponzi Dec. 19, 2011 @ 11:57 a.m.

SP, I agree that the DUI checkpoints are legal (if they follow the legal guidelines). But there has never been permission or a decision on demanding documents at a DUI checkpoint. One law enforcement agency started doing and other followed. Asking for driver’s license, searching the car and other activities that have become routine at these checkpoints is illegal and sets a bad precedent for future illegal behavior.

SurfPuppy619 Dec. 19, 2011 @ 4:28 p.m.

They certainly cannot search the car, unless they have probable cause or it is allowed volunterily (not a good idea).

These DUI check points are out of Nazi Germany, they don't do jack execpt chip away at our constitutional rights.

SanDiegoParrothead Dec. 21, 2011 @ 12:45 p.m.

Ponzi, when you child/spouse/partner gets killed by a DUI driver, you'll be singing a different tune ....

Ponzi Dec. 21, 2011 @ 6:46 p.m.

SanDiegoParrothead, I have been involved in two DUI related accidents. Once when I was 19 and a car turned left in front of me and I hit him at 50 MPH and another later in life where I had a serious injury.

I did not say I was against the DUI aspect of the checkpoints. Although I still feel they are a waste of time. I would prefer the police patrol and catch them on the road than sit around chatting with the haters from MADD.

I stated a fact. If you can refute it please do so. It is ILLEGAL to use the “Sobriety Checkpoints” to also check documents such as license, registration and insurance. This is a Camel’s nose under the tent that needs to be kicked out.

I don’t like drunk drivers either, but I definitely don’t’ like my constitutional right trampled by local law enforcement agencies who are tampering with the intent of the Sobriety Checkpoint exception (upheld by the US Supreme Court). I may die in a DUI related accident for all I know, but I will die knowing that I exercised my free speech to condemn illegal police activity that goes against the Constitution of the United States.

Ponzi Dec. 21, 2011 @ 6:53 p.m.

Mindy1114, sorry but the Escondido Police are not charged with immigration control. As much as they think they are. Any crime problem there is not the sole result of illegal immigration; it is because your community attracts crime. Period. The proper agency to contact and complain to about illegal immigrants is the Border Patrol division of the Department of Homeland Security.

Keep your cowboy cops out of the harassment business. Because when they have those “driver’s license checkpoints” they are violating the law, not enforcing it. For every Mexican they catch without proper papers, they infringe of the rights of hundreds of lawful citizens.