Catherine Spearnak 3:30 p.m., March 6
On Sunday, August 12 Chula Vista hosts Lemon Festival, celebrating its history as the "largest lemon-growing center in the world" in the early twentieth century. After the completion of the 1888 Sweetwater Dam, Chula Vista's "lemon orchards produced $1 million in revenue" in 1931. The title has since been lost, but the heritage remains.
Lemon Festival "will feature live entertainment on three stages, a beer garden, handcrafters, international food, a kids’ fun zone and lemons galore." The event will include pie eating and hula hoop contests, and showcase the Chula Vista Academy of Music and Dance, Ballet Folklorico, and more. For a full listing of performance and events see the Lemon Festival website.
Admission is free and the event runs from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Third Avenue between E St and Roosevelt St in Chula Vista.
More like this:
- More Memorial Day Events — May 24, 2013
- Chula Vista's Tourism Marketing District Director responds — Oct. 25, 2012
- Nuda Vista? — Oct. 11, 2012
- Basshenge Brings DJ Swamp to Ruby Room — March 29, 2012
- A Walk Into History — Jan. 21, 2009