Scott Ellis 6:45 p.m., Dec. 10
Artist's rendering of what Chula Vista's bayfront does not look like right now.
On October 24, the Chula Vista City Council voted to dissolve the Chula Vista Tourism Marketing District, citing possible misuse of funds and definite failure to bring tourists to Chula Vista.
Today, Chula Vista TMD Director Wanda Werdois responded to what she characterized as "a short-sighted move that reflects a gross misunderstanding of the modern tourist market."
"For instance," says Werdois. "The Council cites a grand jury finding that, 'although a representative from the Hotel Motel Association said Chula Vista's primary tourist markets are Los Angeles, Arizona and Nevada the hotels and motels had been promoted in two local publications — The Star News and My Hometown Chula Vista.'"
"Oooh, damning," continues Werdois, rolling her eyes. "But consider the source! Of course a paid shill for the hotel/motel industry is going to complain if we promote Chula Vista to Chula Vistans - they already live here, so they don't need a hotel room. But look at the reality: because of the slumping economy and the spike in gas prices, home-based 'staycations' are up 60% from last year. Spending marketing dollars in Chula Vista to keep Chula Vistans in Chula Vista just makes sense. We don't want them traipsing off to National City or Imperial Beach, now do we? We're reaching people where they are to keep them where they are, and that's good business."
"Plus, until Eye Candy fires up the waterfront nightlife, what was I supposed to sell to all those people in Arizona and Nevada? The Olympic Training Center? The water park? Please."
More like this:
- City council hears Tourism Marketing District comments as union hotel workers unveil a new lawsuit — Feb. 25, 2013
- Tourism Marketing District has some economic incentive...for city councilmembers — Feb. 21, 2013
- Chula Vista council votes with hoteliers to scrap Tourism Marketing District — Oct. 24, 2012
- City moves toward approval of expanded Tourism Marketing District — Sept. 25, 2012
- Chula Vista’s Tourism Marketing District Scrutinized — Jan. 11, 2012