Sophia Zaller 3:30 p.m., Aug. 31
DUI patrol heads to the fair
The San Diego County Sheriff’s Department, responsible for law enforcement in Del Mar, has announced that it will be partnering with police from Coronado, National City, the San Diego County Probation Department, and UC San Diego Police to conduct a “saturation patrol” DUI crackdown in the area around the San Diego County Fair this Saturday night (June 22).
The saturation patrols, in which a large number of officers focus on a particular problem spot by patrolling the area looking for signs of intoxicated drivers, seem to be more effective than setting up stationary checkpoints where every driver is stopped and questioned, and as such seem to be employed with greater frequency in recent months.
Heavy patrols around the fairgrounds will begin at roughly 6 p.m. Saturday.
More like this:
- Dumanis records anti-DUI radio spots — July 3, 2013
- DUI crackdown nets one drunk driver — June 24, 2013
- DUI patrol yields few intoxicated drivers following Poinsettia Bowl — Dec. 21, 2012
- Cops will be watching — Dec. 7, 2012
- Cinco de Mayo DUI Patrols to Focus on Escondido, SDSU — May 4, 2012