Barbarella Fokos 11 a.m., Aug. 29
Mexican Army Intercepts Drug Shipment
Mexican Army officers, along with local police, intercepted a vehicle headed for the U.S. border near Mexicali with over 50 kilograms (110 pounds) of marijuana. The drugs and vehicle were put on display for local media late Saturday evening.
The vehicle was found on a dirt road, after the smugglers had fled the vehicle due to spotting authorities. No suspects were arrested. The marijuana was wrapped in 5 separate 10 kilogram packages. A shotgun was also found in the vehicle.
Networks of spotters are commonly used to alert drug smugglers of authorities in pursuit.
More like this:
- Authorities seize over one ton of marijuana from Tijuana residence — May 11, 2013
- Tijuana rounds up 14 drug dealers overnight — March 6, 2013
- Tequila bottle meth bust in Tijuana — Dec. 30, 2012
- Over 2 Tons of Marijuana Seized Headed for Tijuana — June 6, 2012
- Raids Net Over a Ton of Drugs, Plane, & Arrests — April 10, 2012