Matthew Lickona 8 p.m., Dec. 17
Movies opening this week: The Heat, White House Down, and more
I turned 40 yesterday. These things happen. But as a result, this new release roundup is going to be somewhat terse. I've only got a few minutes before I head over to the LA County Museum of Art's Kubrick exhibit that all y'all said I needed to visit.
The big one? White House Down? Yeah, Channing Tatum can act. For that matter, so can everyone else in this film. But it's very much a Roland Emmerich joint. Shit blows up, ha ha. I wasn't drawn in, alas.
Fellow critic Scott Marks didn't hate The Heat.
But he did like Augustine.
And also Byzantium.
But not Unfinished Song.
Finally, I admired Redemption for its ambition, and to a lesser extent, its execution.
More like this:
- New releases opening this week: Short Term 12, some other stuff — Sept. 13, 2013
- New releases opening this week — March 22, 2013
- Movies opening this week — Jan. 18, 2013
- Opening this week — Sept. 20, 2012
- Reviews! — March 29, 2012