Jeff Smith 6 p.m., Oct. 8
Opening this week
Surprise, surprise, I liked The Master. I'm a sucker for alienated vets with a predilection for booze and women.
I also liked Step Up to the Plate. I'm a sucker for father-son issues being worked out in an atmosphere of incredibly refined French cookery. Plus, the depiction of the creative process behind inventing a dish is super-duper neat.
I was not as fond of End of Watch. I am not a sucker for Jittercam. They don't even make music videos this choppy any more.
Scott wasn't terribly impressed with Clint's latest, Trouble with the Curve, but amazingly, he avoided any Trouble with the Chair jokes in his review. A model of taste and restraint.
Dredd 3D didn't screen for critics, presumably because it's just that good.
Scott's gonna see House at the End of the Street real soon and get back to us.
More like this:
- New movie releases this week: Storm Surfers 3D, The Wolverine and more — July 26, 2013
- New movie releases opening this week — March 29, 2013
- Movies opening this week — Jan. 18, 2013
- Opening this week — Jan. 4, 2013
- Opening this week — Dec. 14, 2012