First blog post from the new homestead. Bring on the super significance, eh? As epic as the new apartment is, I am still not 100% back in business. Having completely uprooted makes life all..turmoil-ish and it's proving rather difficult to settle into any sort of routine at this early juncture. Of course, the challenge of fitting into this new space is more than welcome. Hopefully my new sense of "being in space" effects numerous and interesting changes in other parts of my life.

In other news: WTF is this? I go away for two days to move and things start getting weird on craigslist. Sheesh. I guess the virtual world needs my policing to stay in line.

My first, post-LTD Runner-Up award goes to:

Rawhide - $100 (Normal Heights)

IT RUBS THE LOTION ON ITS SKIN!

[shivers]

But, as they say, to the Victor goes the No-Prize:

FREE Dirt mostly sand base (I'LL PAY for Removal) (NORMAL HEIGHTS 92116)

This dude is awesomely eager to be shed of his dirt pile--which, if I do say, is not really all that hujungous to begin with. Judging by the slightly hodge-podge composition of the advertisement, and using my keen powers of craigslist insight, I am assuming that he first posted the dirt up for free and then edited it to offer payment to anyone who would be so kind as to come and claim the dirt pile (mostly sand).

Now I am wondering what he dug up. Could it be something sinister? A body, perhaps? Maybe even pirate gold or some other ill-gotten gains, the filthy lucre from a blood-soaked bank robbery or the heisting of royal jewels from a small (but wealthy) monarchy!

For Whatever Reason, A List of Names I Find Sinister
Snyder
DiBiase
Snidely Whiplash
Mr. Sinister
Nate/Nathan
Moriarty
Todd
[Insert Name Here] Contracting

That is all. For whatever reason, these are the names of people whom I would immediately distrust. Please feel free to add any other sinister names that spring readily to mind. Perhaps together we can identify the sneakiest elements of society and and avoid their sinister schemes.

Comments

Adam92102 Nov. 24, 2009 @ 12:24 a.m.

Blaine. I can't trust anyone with the name Blaine. Could be a Stephen King thing ("Blaine is a pain...") but it could just be that the name has something to it that rings untrue. Either way, can't trust a Blaine.

Ok, on the subject of the free dirt thing, this smacks of something I have always been curious about. Except this is a slightly different "version" of it. If you drive (and I say that because Pike doesn't), you know the air pumps that are at gas stations and car washes, right? Well, why do you have to pay for some of them? I mean, air is free! So if someone wants dirt, why go and pick it up when you can just dig it up from your own back yard? I'm no home-owner but still.... Then again, I'm so poor I'm tempted to drive my little Saturn there and pick it up just for the cash, then drive out to Ocotillo or something and drop it off.

We pay for things that when we really look at what we're paying for, sometimes they're things that are free already if we just get creative.

SDaniels Nov. 24, 2009 @ 1:08 a.m.

Blaine also rhymes with "rain" and "sane."

Pikey doesn't drive, either? I feel much saner knowing that. ;) We do have a car, however, and I've never wondered why we don't pay or do pay for air and water.

"Then again, I'm so poor I'm tempted to drive my little Saturn there and pick it up just for the cash, then drive out to Ocotillo or something and drop it off."

You could so make an art event out of this, Adam.

As for paying for things that could be free--this economy runs on consumer laziness. Bottled water. Overly packaged microwavable meals. Trader Joe's and Fresh 'N Easy (Really: "Hard 'N Stale") both offer precooked products, including rice. Come on. Boil some water, add the rice. Stir and simmer 20 minutes. Do you really need to pay five times the cost for prepackaged rice?

Josh Board Nov. 24, 2009 @ 1:35 a.m.

Blaine isn't trustworth to some, because...I believe John Hughes once used that as the bad guy. Perhaps a preppy character played by James Spader.

And really....you can't trust the things David BLAINE is doing, can ya?

Spencer is a name I don't trust. Not sure why. Spencer Tracy is great. And a cop friend of mine had the cutest son he named Spencer. But still....something about it...

Origami_Astronaught Nov. 25, 2009 @ 4:52 p.m.

I getting some strange vibes from the Aleisters of this world, but they may be a defunct bunch, like the Moriartys, as for as I can tell. Stay tuned.

antigeekess Nov. 25, 2009 @ 5:06 p.m.

Well I guess Aleister 'should' be the epitome of the strange vibey name, considering this guy:

I still like the name, though. Great for a baby boy. Not enough Aleisters in the world.

David Dodd Nov. 25, 2009 @ 5:13 p.m.

Add me to the non-driving list, I haven't owned a car or a driver's license in over a decade. I don't miss it at all.

Damian is sinister, obviously. I've never found Teds to be sinister, but every Ted I ever met turned out to be quite annoying.

MsGrant Nov. 25, 2009 @ 5:26 p.m.

SD, Fresh and Easy moved in up the street from me and I swear, everytime I buy something there it turns the minute I park it in my fridge.

Jonathan. Ugh, every Jonathan I have ever met has been a pompous jerk.

Daves and Matts are always cool.

FullFlavorPike Nov. 25, 2009 @ 9:11 p.m.

Alistair always smacks of proper british-ness to me. Prolly because of hearing the incumbent British Chancellor of The Exchequer...

Ben always seems to be a cool guy, on the other hand.

antigeekess Nov. 25, 2009 @ 9:56 p.m.

Alistair is VERY properly British. So was this guy:

I actually like it spelled "Alasdaire" best, only because I think "Daire" is a cool nickname for it. Here's the only "Daire" I've ever heard of. I'm sure there are others:

Without the "e," Alasdair is fairly common, and evidently Scottish/Gaelic:

Everyone can have all my favorite kid names, BTW. I won't be using any of them. Maybe the world will turn out to be safe after all. :)

CuddleFish Nov. 25, 2009 @ 10:12 p.m.

Oh darn it, AG, somebody's got to improve the gene pool! :(

SDaniels Nov. 26, 2009 @ 12:58 a.m.

re: #9: We can be the three non-driving musketeers! And again, why exactly are we in cities without great mass transit? ;)

re: #9: Well, Ted Bundy. The sinister derives from its own incongruity with the soft, plush, dull name.

re: #10: You do realize we have a Dave amongus? ;)

re: #11: No Bens. A Ben/Benjamin broke my heart! ;(

If I were going to have a child (not), Alistair seems nice for a boy or a girl.

David Dodd Nov. 26, 2009 @ 4:16 a.m.

"..why exactly are we in cities without great mass transit? ;)"

Tijuana has excellent mass transit. And as much as I keep reading about how horrible San Diego's transit system is, I have never had an issue with it. I realize that I'm in the minority with that opinion, but it has served me very well.

FullFlavorPike Nov. 26, 2009 @ 11:56 a.m.

Don't need mass tranist when you've got a bike and nowhere you want to be is more than twenty miles away...

antigeekess Nov. 26, 2009 @ 1:20 p.m.

Re #16

You do if cycling more than a mile is enough to give your fat ass a heart attack.

TWENTY miles, huh?

SDaniels Nov. 27, 2009 @ 11:28 p.m.

The longest I've cycled is to and from UCSD via PCH and Mission, sometimes cheating and loading my bike onto a bus in Pacific Beach, to avoid those last killer hills to campus. Of course from UCSD back to Hillcrest is a breeze, downhill all the way ;)